lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Default 2014 ezgo rxv gear housing hole

I have a 2014 ezgo rxv the brakes locked up on it as usual just climbed under it to disconnect the brake and noticed this hole in the rear end gear housing. Is there supposed to be a plug in that and how much gear oil does it hold I have plenty of gear oil for my tractor I can put in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190315_140403.jpg (202.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190315_140350.jpg (218.1 KB, 0 views)
MUDSLINGER250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2014 ezgo rxv gear housing hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLINGER250 View Post
I have a 2014 ezgo rxv the brakes locked up on it as usual just climbed under it to disconnect the brake and noticed this hole in the rear end gear housing. Is there supposed to be a plug in that and how much gear oil does it hold I have plenty of gear oil for my tractor I can put in there.
Mudslinger,

There should be a rubber plug in there. That is your check value for the rear differential. When I just changed the oil on my differential a bunch of gear oil came out. That probably explains why your brakes locked up. There could be no oil in there.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...iABEgJWkfD_BwE
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes there would be a plug.

I use 25 ounces of Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 75W140 Gear Oil. Along with 2 ounces of K & W Chemical Trans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive.

Check out this thread.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Yeah shes empty but has a good bit of grease in it I thought about just putting grease like I do my bushhog housing. I have some 85w-140 gear oil. I'm gonna remake my housing plug with a milk jug top and some ultra black permatex black gasket maker. Its held a tractor oil filter together I guess itll hold this. Lol
Old 03-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

One last question can I add the oil in the vent on top just so happen to have 6 feet of hose I can put my oil bottle on and squeeze it in there.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't use grease like in your brush hog gearbox. Use a good quality diff lube like was suggested.

An owners manual would give you the amount of oil.

Remove the grease first.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #7
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Don't use grease like in your brush hog gearbox. Use a good quality diff lube like was suggested.

An owners manual would give you the amount of oil.

Remove the grease first.
Will do. And for the record milk jug top and black gasket maker permatex does not hold.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

My carts been a mud ball for about a month I use it on my farm and here in Alabama it's been raining almost everyday. I had tree crews replanting and burning the place so my roads been destroyed. Today I gave it a good hosing off it usually wont go after that for a little while. This time I loosened the brake and water came out so I got my electric motor spray and gave it a good soaking around the brake and motor shaft. Bolted it back up she took right off. Just incase anyone else might have the after wash problems of not going. I also have 2 new plugs ordered. For the differential.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #9
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

If it were me, i would take that diff cover off and give everything a good cleaning. I would imagine that the plug has been out a while. Water and maybe even sand particles may have gotten in there. By taken it off, you will also be able to inspect the remaining lube and see how dirty it is. That's a limited slip differential and requires a lube with an additive to help with the slip. Where you are using it, you need that function.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boyd View Post
If it were me, i would take that diff cover off and give everything a good cleaning. I would imagine that the plug has been out a while. Water and maybe even sand particles may have gotten in there. By taken it off, you will also be able to inspect the remaining lube and see how dirty it is. That's a limited slip differential and requires a lube with an additive to help with the slip. Where you are using it, you need that function.
Im gonna haul it back to the house with me this time. I did notice a while back that the motor seemed to make a louder whining noise going down the road. Now I see where the whine was coming from. From what I can tell with just the plug out it looks like actual grease inside there. I of course had to put the ole finger in there and see what I could find. It's a thick grey grease. Maybe it's just old and like you say has water mixed in it either way I'll get all the stuff and make it right.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO