lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
rebel1086
Not Yet Wild

Default Will a 48V cart run on 38-42 volts?

Received 2010 Precedent 48V. Currently individually charging each battery with trickle charger. The charger that came with it would not turn on but from what I've read if the voltage is super low the charger wont turn on. I've charged 3 of the 8v batteries but I've only gotten up to 21V. If the other batteries only get to 6 or 7 volts will the cart even run. I would like to determine if I need new batteries or a new charger. Previous shop wrote in sharpie under the seat that the batteries were changed in September of 2015 so theyre only about 3 and 1/2 years old. I changed the rectifier, relay and fuse on the charger to eliminate those as problems. Not sure where to go next.
rebel1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Will a 48V cart run on 38-42 volts?

If you only end up at 42 volts or less, I wouldn't try to drive the cart. Solenoid may or may not work that low, but if it does you could damage the controller trying to pull a bunch of amps at that low a voltage. You could lift the wheels off the ground and try turning the motor - no load, and only for a few seconds - as a test of the motor. On the plus side anything over around 40 volts might allow your charger to turn on - see if the proper cart charger can bring the batteries back further. Regardless of how old the batteries are, having been that severely discharged wil have done some damage.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
rebel1086
Not Yet Wild

Ok I'll try that. Most of the batteries were pretty dry inside and around 3 volts when I got it home. It was my grandpa cart and he passed away. It's just been sitting at his shop for about the last year. If I get it above 40v and the charger still doesnt turn on would it be safe to say that the charger is toast? I dont have anybody else around that has a cart to try the charger on, but there is a repair shop up the road that was going to be my next step to see if they could plug in the charger to a known good cart and see if it comes on.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you get it to about 40 and the cart charger still won't kick on, try one more thing. Hook your 12 volt charger to the lowest of your 8 volt batteries. Goosing that one to 12 volts (just a trickle / low amps) should bring it up enough to turn on the charger. If not, then it's probably time to think about batteries first, then maybe a charger.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
rebel1086
Not Yet Wild

Thanks alot for the help. I'm sure you here this alot but this is my first cart and my first post. Just needed a direction to start troubleshooting with so many things not working. If it does need batteries have you had any luck with 8V Duracell batteries from Sam's? They're only $106 a piece.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
rebel1086
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks for all the advice. I individually charged all the batteries and replaced a few pieces in the charger and viola! The charger clicked on and it charged to 49.5 volts. My little girl and I have driven it every day for about a week. Should I let the batteries drain all the way and then charge it or plug it in every night when we're done?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Charge it every night. Don't let them run down. Put distilled water in them 3/8 to 1/2" above the plates.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car