lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Issue with new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Do you have a photo of what you are calling the "controller cover?" I hope that is not the OBC, "On Board Computer."
Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing. I'm speaking of the aluminum panel that has the one torx screw that the run/tow switch is mounted to on the front and the controller is mounted to on the rear. This panel I had to lift up and out to get access to all the wiring. The original red positive cable went under this and over to the 1st battery. Instead of drilling the hole larger to run the new negative cable I went under it just like the red cable was.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Mrgolf has raised some good points. If you ran the cable around the OBC and perhaps changed or missed something, your charger may not shut off. Unhook it until this is sorted out.

All is well. I just checked on it an hour ago and the charger has cut off. My original concern was the rotten egg smell and the boiling sound in the batteries. Apparently this is normal for new batteries. I'm 100% certain I hooked everything up correctly. I did one cable at a time and took pics before so I would have something to use as a reference. I havent ridden the cart yet but I have tested it forward and reverse a couple feet in each ddirections to ensure it was working properly and as I said an hour ago I went out and checked it and the charger had cut off.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

It sounds like you bypassed the hole in the on board computer (obc) and went around it to the controller. That will not allow your batteries to charge correctly. The hole has a sensor that measures the current going into and out of your batteries. With it bypassed it will charge the first time, but as you use the cart it will not measure current then when you plug in to recharge it don't know how much to charge the batteries. The battery light will come, the batteries will be under charged etc. you can NOT enlarge the hole the cable goes through because of the sensor. Some obc,s will pass 2 ga cables with the lug off then reattach on the other side. Also you can use the 5/16 stud for the hole and use two shorter cables for the negative cable.

At any rate you are good to go for this charge cycle. Ride and enjoy. Then correct this issue before next charge.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
It sounds like you bypassed the hole in the on board computer (obc) and went around it to the controller. That will not allow your batteries to charge correctly. The hole has a sensor that measures the current going into and out of your batteries. With it bypassed it will charge the first time, but as you use the cart it will not measure current then when you plug in to recharge it don't know how much to charge the batteries. The battery light will come, the batteries will be under charged etc. you can NOT enlarge the hole the cable goes through because of the sensor. Some obc,s will pass 2 ga cables with the lug off then reattach on the other side. Also you can use the 5/16 stud for the hole and use two shorter cables for the negative cable.

At any rate you are good to go for this charge cycle. Ride and enjoy. Then correct this issue before next charge.
Yes. And this is why we need a photo of what has been done.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Yes. And this is why we need a photo of what has been done.
Ok now I get what you are saying. That's crazy to think that there is some sort of sensor there. Looks like just a hole the cable ran thru. I upgraded the cable size because I eventually want to upgrade my motor and controller for more torque and speed. How do the guys with heavy duty cables wire them? Also there's a sticky at the top of the forum about bypassing the OBC. What's the purpose of this and is that an option in my case? Why did my charger turn off If it cant sense rhe state of charge and lastly, how do I post pics?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What does your charger say on the front of it?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Your charger worked this time because you had all the cables off and the obc put a standard new batteries charge on them. As you use the cart it will not be able to measure what you have used out of them 10% or 90% . It will not know how much to charge them.

I'll let someone else explain the photo thing.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
What does your charger say on the front of it?
What do you mean? Make and model of the charger? Its the OEM powerdeive 3 charger. Or do you mean the amps? It turned off and is at 0 amps.

So what are my options? Cut one of the terminals off and try to run the 2 gauge negative wire thru the hole? Or just bypass the OBC? Again, how do I post pics?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Ok. That tells us the OBC has not been previously bypassed.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Check your PM's.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car