lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Issue with new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Check your PM's.
Just PM'd you back. Thank you for all your help. I thought I had this only to find out I have an issue that if I dont correct can potentially ruin my new batteries.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Took the cart for a ride this morning. Took off great, just like it always did, only now it falls on its face withing a couple seconds. Thinking maybe the OBC being bypassed had something to do with it I put the original 6 gauge negative cable back in it running thru the hole in the OBC. Took it for another ride and same thing. Before it's used to run 21 to 22 mph. Now it only goes 10mph. Any idea as to what could be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190406_110725.jpg (262.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Ok sounds like speed sensor failed you can do the test by pushing cart and look for beeping and resistance. If it checks, then likely stuck solenoid. Put cart in tow then back to run and see if run normal. If the solenoid is sticking it will put the cart in limp mode, which sounds like what you are getting.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #24
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Ok sounds like speed sensor failed you can do the test by pushing cart and look for beeping and resistance. If it checks, then likely stuck solenoid. Put cart in tow then back to run and see if run normal. If the solenoid is sticking it will put the cart in limp mode, which sounds like what you are getting.

Thanks, MrGolf. Looks like the speed sensor is faulty. drove the cart up a slight incline and stopped. Cart started rolling back and no beeping and no resistance. I know from past experience that anytime I've stopped on an incline if it started rolling backwards it would be and roll slowly like it was braking. Looked up the speed sensor. Wow what a range in price. Anywhere for $17 on amazon to $120 at golf cart shops. My local shop had one but at $120 I can wait until Monday when Amazon drops my $17 one off. Bummer because I really wanted to ride my cart this weekend with the new batteries but not worth an extra $103 just to ride this weekend.

Update on my batteries, cables and OBC. As i posted in the previous comment I reinstalled the original negative cable running thru the OBC. Plugged the charger in an monitored it. It ran about 3 hours. from 15 amps to 5 amps it dropped rather quickly. I'd say within the 1st hour to hour and a half. The remainder of the time it hovered around 5 amps until it finally cut off. I was installing my turn signal/horn/brake light kit the whole time. I will leave it like this until time comes to upgrade the motor and controller at which point I will purchase a new charger. Leaning towards the MODZ Max 48 charger.

Lights turn signals and horn all work. For some reason the brake lights aren't working. Troubleshooting that now.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sounds like a plan.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I'm afraid you may get a faulty speed sensor from Amazon. I read about them weekly on this site. Check with David Hicks he is a web site sponsor for this web site. He has the OEM speed sensors. The one you have coming may work ok, but don't be surprised if it don't. Hope you have good luck with it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #27
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Installed the new speed sensor today and the cart is running great. Runs a solid 20mph. It is lifted with 23" tires and has a speed magnet (don't know if it really does anything or not). I am pleased with it for now, until I upgrade the motor and controller. Leaning toward a Plum Quick Bandit and an Alltrax 400 controller in the future.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #28
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Installed the new speed sensor today and the cart is running great. Runs a solid 20mph. It is lifted with 23" tires and has a speed magnet (don't know if it really does anything or not). I am pleased with it for now, until I upgrade the motor and controller. Leaning toward a Plum Quick Bandit and an Alltrax 400 controller in the future.
That's what this place is all about.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #29
beachcarter
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=Mooncarter;1603360] That's what this place is all about.[/QUOTE

How long do these batteries take to charge? Just want to make sure my OBC is working correctly. 1st charge after purchasing only took 3 hours and I was installing my turn signal kit and was monitoring it the whole time and watched the charger drop in amps form 15 down to 0 until it cut off.

I rode the cart for the 1st time today and as my previous post stated it ran great. I drove it quite a bit. I checked the voltage before I put it on charge and the batteries were down to 47 volts even though they showed no signs of being run down, the cart was still running strong. I put it on charge at 6PM and last checked it at 9PM and the charger was still at 15 amps. It's now 10PM and I'm about to check it again but after unknowingly bypassing the OBC then putting it back inline i want to be sure it's working correctly and I dont overcharge my batteries. I would have better peace of mind if I could see the amps start to drop before going to bed so I know the OBC is working and can trust it to turn the charger off.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #30
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

New batteries can do strange things. You drove it quite a bit. It may take as long as 16 hours before it cuts off. Let it run tonight and see how long it takes. I would not worry until after 16 hours or so.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car