lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rxv charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLINGER250 View Post
I tried to add a video of the key switch. When I toggle it the soc meter blinks off and on showing 100% charge then only showing 12 volts. I can wiggle the key switch and toggle it off and on and the soc meter will do this or just stay off. I put a volt meter on the plug from the key switch to the soc meter its showing one volt steady on the connector.
Doing that has very good odds of burning out the controllers 5V bus. One volt on that SOC line is not a good sign. It is a 0-5V logic level output from the controller, to the SOC guage input.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

I think I'll just drop it off at the shop again. Two 900 dollar controllers in a month due to lightning strikes would be awesome. Also replacing the TV and DirecTV box again.
MUDSLINGER250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Reading through some older posts that seems to have my same problem is there any chance this could be the charger interlock giving me a problem or is it just a guessing game at this point.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've seen whole home surge suppressors offered from some utility companies. I have TVSSs, but I use them to protect the utility and the rest of the house from my garage.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Reading through some older posts that seems to have my same problem is there any chance this could be the charger interlock giving me a problem or is it just a guessing game at this point.
Yes, the charger interlock could prevent operation. But it would not cause the SOC guage to read incorrectly. The controller gets its voltage reading from the B+ input coming from the main output terminal of the solenoid. If the battery pack or the solenoid has an issue that is causing the B+ output side to drop to about 10 volts... that could be causing this. I hope you're keeping the controllers, just in case. Did you change out the solenoid already? I don't remember the year of your cart. The older RXVs with 1206AC-5201 controllers had 36V solenoids and were set to provide 36V nominal to the solenoid. The newer solenoids are 48V and the newer 1206AC-5211 controllers were set to provide 48V nominal to the solenoid. A mismatch of voltage to the solenoid could cause issues.

I recovered my files from the laptop that had crashed. I checked the file from your original 1206AC-5201 controller, and it was set for 36V when it arrived. The same setting was in it when it left. That is pull-in voltage. After it is pulled in, the controller tapers the solenoid voltage back to 26.4V to hold it in. A 36V solenoid will hold in solid at 26.4V, but a 48V solenoid will not.

If your solenoid was changed to a 48V solenoid, it could be not pulling in or holding in fully, causing the contacts to chatter and creating a voltage drop across the large solenoid terminals. This can also cause corruption to the controller memory. What model number is the new controller, and check the voltage on the solenoid label.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

The solenoid is a 36 volt. I replaced it after that first lightning strike but haven't changed anything out this time. The solenoid does have 50 volts across the large terminals that's all I've checked so far that and the key switch. The solenoid has no click at all with key or pedal. Now I'm kinda gun shy about checking things with the meter since I coulda hurt something testing the soc plug.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I've seen whole home surge suppressors offered from some utility companies. I have TVSSs, but I use them to protect the utility and the rest of the house from my garage.
They dont work when you have a logging chain and a steel choker around your axle locked onto a tractor disk that's buried in the dirt.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
They dont work when you have a logging chain and a steel choker around your axle locked onto a tractor disk that's buried in the dirt.
Yeah, but can't you come up with a safer, more secure way to lock your RXV? It seems to be costing a lot of money. Just tryin' to help. Is there a way to secure it to something big and solid, that isn't a REALLY good ground conductor?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
MUDSLINGER250
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yeah, but can't you come up with a safer, more secure way to lock your RXV? It seems to be costing a lot of money. Just tryin' to help. Is there a way to secure it to something big and solid, that isn't a REALLY good ground conductor?
I have my charger on a timer that has surge protection it's made it twice without getting hit. Maybe find a skidder tire punch a hole in the center so the chokers not grounded under the tire everything would be on rubber.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #20
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I use these to secure my RXV at the campground during the night. I even keep it in my bag well just in case I need to secure it somewhere.
Trimax TCL265
OttyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO