lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
CampingBuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Front end noise

I tried the search function and found nothing. I have a 2007 EZGO TXT PDS. And ever since I bought it the front end has had a loud clonking noise with fast up and down movement of the suspension. So pretty much if you aren't on blacktop, concrete or smooth gravel it is non stop clonking. You can feel it too. I visually inspected the front end parts and did not notice anything obvious. I jacked it up and found that I could move both front hubs in and out enough to make them clonk. I pulled the caps and I was able to tighten the passenger spindle nut one cotter pin position and on the drivers side I got 2 positions. No more movement. I was pumped! Took it for a drive and the noise was still there and exactly the same. I checked the steering shaft knuckle (universal) and it seems like new. The cart has a Jake's lift and the outside steering knuckles seem tight also and I greased them. Nothing has changed in regards to my sound. Could it be the bearings in the column itself? Is this a common noise that happens with these carts? Is there a known fix?
CampingBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
CampingBuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front end noise

I didn't notice any slop in the tie rods grabbing them by hand, but I am wondering if they are sloppy under load? The cart drives straight and the steering does not wander around anymore than other golf carts I've driven.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
CampingBuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry I keep thinking of things I should add. There are also no noises, slop, or clonking felt when the steering wheel is moved left and right. It only happens when driving on a surface that causes suspension movement.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First couple things I would check are A-arm bushings and the kingpin bushings and tube on the spindles. Those are usually just hard plastic and do tend to wear out.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pictures of your front steering and suspension connection points may help us to get you a quicker resolution. Seems to me, it should be something quite obvious for it to make that kind of sound.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Worn shock bushing comes to mind. May need to unbolt one end of shock then wiggle it to check. “Shocks”under semi compression from cart can cover slop up.

When checking for other worn front end parts check for play in tie rod ends,control arm bushings ect. While cart is setting on ground under it’s own wheight.
If those components are checked with cart jacked up and suspension unloaded it can cover up slop since they are at their extreme travel
Cart on ground use small pry bar to pry against tie rod ends,a arms ,ball joints or king pins if applicable.
Sounds like your being very thorall in your diagnostics so far👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

My cart does exactly the same thing. On mine it's the shock on the passenger side. For some reason it's fully extended without anyone in it. When you get in it and drive on rough terrain it makes a clanking sound. I'm sure mine needs a new shock. I may try and shim it so it's more in the middle of travel when not hitting bumps.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Grab the roof support and rock it back and forth real hard and listen.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO