lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
aaron580
Not Yet Wild

Default 02 DS now quicker, but not up hill

Hi guys, so I am still pretty new to the golf car world but finally managed to get a moment to play with my new (to me) DS club car. I am very familiar with small engines on mowers and like machines, so I get basic mechanics of this machine. So tonight, I decided I was going to try the governor zip tie trick, which I am still unclear as to which side of the spring Ineed to attach the zip ties to. So before I messed with that, I went ahead and got underneath and worked with the pedal rod. It was bent, probably to bring the machine speed down (was running right at 11mph). So I got it straightened back out and then adjusted the throttle cable in the black box almost all the way out. Boom, now she does about 16.5 at 3680 +/- RPMS accouding to my tiny tach, which I figure is a pretty safe number. So this is all fantastic, until I decided to try my luck up a hill. Its probably a 15-20 degree incline, something most zero turns wouldnt have tons of troube on unless it was wet. Anyway, it just DOGGGGGGGGs up the hill. The gradual rolling hills, no problems though. So would doing a true governor adjustment help this, would backing the throttle cable into the black box off some help? I guess I just need a little insight to get me along here. Its almost like taking a jeep that had 4.56 gears and throwing 3.01s in it, or going in 4th gear vs 1st. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here it is. I installed lights, rear seat, HD springs, new front cross leaf, and new rear shocks. Work in progress until I get the 23hp vanguard

aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 02 DS now quicker, but not up hill

Put it in service mode, theres a little yellow knob on the back of the shifter. Pull it out, turn 180° and push it back in. This will allow it to run in neutral.

Rev it up. The belt should rest on the outside of the rear clutch, and loose in the middle.of the front clutch. When the motor starts and it revs up, it should smoothly transition to the inside of the rear clutch and the outside of the front clutch. When you release the gas pedal it should smoothly go back to resting g position.

Make sure all of that is seamless and smooth. It sounds like a clutch problem, or maybe simply a worn belt. Zip tying the governor isnt going to affect that.

I can take some.pictures tomorrow of what spring and where to apply a zip tie, but it's raining and I dont feel like walking all the way out to my shop tonight lol
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
aaron580
Not Yet Wild

No problem. Thanks for the info. I did put a new Stens drive and starter belt on, which didn't seem as robust as the old crappy originals FTR. When it was "stock", it lost a tad bit of power, but not much and went up fine. Was a little slower, but had RPMS, now I have almost no RPMs up the hill. I'll play with it some more monday when I get some more time. It's also catches with more of a jerk than it did before, but that doesn't surprise me. Kinda hard to go slow now. Lol.

Appreciate pics of the zip tie! With my current results, almost makes me curious if zip tie will really do anything extra.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If its jerking that's usually because the belt is too loose. The motor spins, and the primary clutch spins. With a correct length belt, it will be a smooth transition from free spin to the primary clutch grabbing the belt as it starts to close, and a gradual engagement of the rear clutch.

If the belt is too loose, the primary clutch starts to close but doesn't grab right away. So the engine is spinning a lot faster when it finally DOES grab, hence the jerky take-off.

Put the old belt on and see if the hill climb is any better. I'll bet it is. I would recommend an OEM club car belt. Call david hicks at revolution golf cars (site sponsor) and he will hook you up with the right thing.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And pics are no problem. I'll take pics on my carryall so all I have to do is flip up the bed :) i dont do the zip tie personally, my carryall is plenty fast enough for me. But I'm not a speed demon. ��
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
aaron580
Not Yet Wild

I should specify, it was very smooth to engage before I made my modifications, now it's pretty much fast all the time, which I think if I loosen the cable in the black box, it may help a bit and adjust the governor accordingly?

I would try the belt, but threw out my old one. I'll try and buy another soon
Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
aaron580
Not Yet Wild

Update, I think we are getting to much gas, smelled it racing another dad with his electric DS, smoked him. Could just adjusting the throttle cable all the way out of the black box and straight throttle rod do this?

I could still use a picture of the governor zip ties, I'll throw some on this week
Old 08-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
aghead
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

for zip tie pic, go to Home/gas club car/ speed sticky
aghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'm sorry, I got busy and completely forgot! I'll be out of town until friday.

Let me.ask this... when you step on the pedal, the engine should spin (from the starter/generator) before it actually.starts moving the cable to the carb. You should have to press the pedal down another 1/2" or so from where it starts spinning before it will actually start. If you adjust it incorrectly and it starts running as soon as you hit the pedal, then who knows how far the carb is open by the time the motor starts. That will contribute to no speed---->high speed and no in-between
Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
raggdoll
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghead View Post
for zip tie pic, go to Home/gas club car/ speed sticky
Went there, didn't see the pic?
raggdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car