lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
zsprankle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery or solenoid issue.

Hey yall. Almost finished restoring my 92 CCDS Gas and after throwing it all back together after paint and a lift I've run into some issues.

Replaced carb and changed oil due to a stuck open needle valve in the carb and it filled the sump with fuel, replaced fuel pump after it died and I had to push it up my driveway, and now I've run into an electrical problem. With the jumper cables on the battery, it will start up and run fine in maintenance mode. When I take the cables off, it will not crank. I thought i had tested the old solenoid correctly and found it bad so I replaced it also, still the same issue. With my multi meter on the batt terminals I get about a 14v reading. When i hit the pedal it stays at 14v but it seems like the solenoid isn't kicking over. When i jump the new solenoid, voltage drops to about 4v. The same thing happened with the old solenoid.

So am i correct in thinking that my battery is bad or should I be looking somewhere else?
zsprankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Battery or solenoid issue.

Sounds like battery is bad. Are you sure the 14v reading is accurate? Load test the battery.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

14v is too high for a lead acid battery at rest. Recheck the voltage and make sure your meter is set to the correct range. Also may want to make sure the batteries in the meter are new, since old dead batteries can throw off meter readings.

A typical 12v lead battery should show around 12.6V if it is fully charged.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
14v is too high for a lead acid battery at rest. Recheck the voltage and make sure your meter is set to the correct range. Also may want to make sure the batteries in the meter are new, since old dead batteries can throw off meter readings.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
kurtbelyeu
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

A typical 12v lead battery is around 11.4v when fully discharged...

kurtbelyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtbelyeu View Post
A typical 12v lead battery is around 11.4v when fully discharged...

Actually, according to any SOC table, technically a fully discharged 12v battery is 10.5v

However, real world, below 12.1v is 50% discharged and that's enough to cause major problems once a load is presented.

Regardless, he was talking about the batteries in the meter throwing off readings

And to OP, agree with FT4M. 14V is way too high for a standard 12v battery. However, how long since that battery was on a charger did you test it? Most chargers will charge at 15+V. So if it had not been sitting long since you charged it, it very well could read 14V but that's not an accurate reading. It takes it a while to settle down after being charged.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

And y’all all are incorrect. A fully discharged battery is at zero volts. I have a few of those for cores. They dead.

Oh but back to the point, load test that battery.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And y’all all are incorrect. A fully discharged battery is at zero volts. I have a few of those for cores. They dead.

Oh but back to the point, load test that battery.

I'll call.your bluff and raise you a melted terminal
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
zsprankle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright so I took the battery to have it tested and the guy at batteries + wouldn't test it cause it was at 11V. So I broke down and got a new battery and the cart runs great now short of some small carb adjustments. My multimeter is still showing the new one at 14V so I'll chock that up to dead batteries in my meter.

Off topic.... do y'alls carts have the inner frame snubber between the tab on the swing arm and the frame? Just noticed mine does not and I've been chasing a weird vibration on takeoff.
zsprankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Glad you are running.

Put a snubber on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car