lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Locked rear end

What are the options for locking rear end on ds? I know some of the utility carts have lockable rear ends and I’ve seen where some users have welded their spider. How does this affect pavement driving? These rear ends are so narrow didn’t know if there would be too
Much affect. Is there kit for on the fly locking? Have a 91 rear end with the 2 piece housing/transmission.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Locked rear end

Cart has tons of torque but sick of the 1 wheel peel. Been pretty wet down here and been usin it a lot to yank the mower out when it’s stuck but it’s only spinning 1 wheel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08D598C8-5112-423A-B4E1-04257F12572E.jpg (321.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Welding the rear end is a good option if you only drive it off-road. It's going to majorly suck trying to turn on pavement, unless you REALLY like to hear your tires barking every time you turn......

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/

Call David, if there's anything he will have it.

I only got my mower stuck once, the ground collapsed under one of the rear tires from a hole my dogs dug (they dig really big holes). it took a honda rubicon 500 locked in 4 low with a big chain hooked to the mower, my wife gunning the mower in reverse, and 2 other people bouncing and pulling to get one of the tires to grab so it could come out. you aren't gonna be pulling my mower with a golf cart. Now I just don't go near their hole
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

its on the pavement 60% of the time, 20% in grass/gravel, hard packed ground, the other 20% in wet muck, soft sand, or mud.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
its on the pavement 60% of the time, 20% in grass/gravel, hard packed ground, the other 20% in wet muck, soft sand, or mud.

I'd recommend against welding then, find a posi or LSD if that's what you need.

Think about driving a 4wheeler with a solid rear axle and turning on pavement, but add a lot more width and weight. I wouldn't recommend welding the rear end for that much pavement use, you'll regret it.

Or pick up a cheap 4x4 4wheeler for unstucking your mower. lot less work and save the wear and tear on the cart :)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don't think you'll find a posi/locking unit for that old axle.
I think some were custom made for the Unitized axles on the 97+, but I haven't seen any mention of those for quite some time so I'm not sure if they are still available.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

This may help in your search:http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-clunking.html
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
That is interesting. $425 is not that bad for a full rear axle assembly. The thing is, just like the one this guy was replacing in that thread, will this one hold up?
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Out of curiosity I did some reading, and the best solution I could find was someone using a Carryall 272 rear end with a manual locker. It would take a little fab work to weld on new spring perches but if you could find a used one for a reasonable price that's probably the best you'll find.

Either that or maybe you could get one out of a Mule, they're a lot more common and I see mules all the time with blown up engines or rusted out frames for around $500.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car