lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default New starter/generator bad?

Put on a new solenoid, regulator, and starter/generator. All parts OEM. Cart was charging over 14.5 volts so everything looked to be ok. Cart ran for a week maybe and then would not start. Battery had run down. I unhooked the wire from s/g to voltage reg. and measured voltage at s/g terminal and it was barely 11 volts. I am assuming that s/g is bad. I got it from a site sponsor which I haven't talked to yet but will when they are open.

I am interested in what everybody else thinks.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: New starter/generator bad?

That would be super rare. I don't change very many starter to begin with, but to have a new one fail....really rare. Id make sure its no the regulator which is way more common.

Im sure whoever you got it from will walk you through a checking process
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You unhooked the yellow wire from the voltage regulator to the small terminal on the starter generator? Or did you unhook the larger white wire from the solenoid to the larger terminal on the starter generator?
The way to test it is to run a jumper wire from the small terminal (yellow wire) on the starter generator and momentarily run it to ground while the engine is running. That will full field the generator which should give you high voltage (maybe 18+). You don't want to leave it that way long - hard on all the electricals. If it does produce the higher voltage the starter generator is good and the voltage regulator or wiring along that path are the problem.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I just unhooked the yellow wire and grounded it with a jumper and it put out over 15 volts. Changed to an old voltage regulator and it charges at 13.5 which seems a little low.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If the battery is low, it may read low for a bit. 13.5 is charging Starter is OK with the test you did
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah I think the starter is ok.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car