lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
GPASCART
Not Yet Wild

Default GRANDPAS CART , help

hello , i have just acquired my grandpas cart , a 1995 club car gas .
i am fairly mechanically inclined , and have most tools to complete most jobs.
i am unsure about the starter generator , and how it operates. i have good voltage, and the generator spins when peddle is pressed. the wheel that holds the belt on the generator "free spins" around the generator shaft .
is this normal ? or is something broken within the wheel. (may not be called the wheel)..

ie if i take the belt off the generator , i can flick that wheel and it will spin . i can also spin the generator bolt on the shaft and the belt will not spin
GPASCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: GRANDPAS CART , help

Remove the bolt, burping it with an impact is easiest and it will zip right off.

My spares are packed away, but I believe the pulley is on a keyway. And sounds like the key sheared.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Xwell
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I remember correctly, the pulley is keyed to the shaft. So for starters (no pun intended) you probably need to pull the pulley (again, no pun intended) and replace the key. Seems strange that the starter/gen would experience that kind of torque, though.
Xwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
GPASCART
Not Yet Wild

2 awesome tips ! couldnt get the pulley wheel off with wrench. burping it with impact came off instantly.
and the wheel is stripped ! shaft itself looks to be okay tho .

wheel is 2.75" , and shaft looks to be about 5/8s on the flat sides. any idea the part number for the wheel ?

looking at new ones it does appear it is supposed to be just a key, and not 2 flat sides like on the shaft . whats most commonly used for the key ?
Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don't remember there being any flat sides on the starter generator shaft. Should be round with a key notch for 3/16" key stock
If it's totally stripped out, stick the pulley back on with epoxy or Red locktite on the shaft and tighten the snot out of the nut that holds it on. And if you wanna get really "permanent" you could put a couple spot weds on the nut so the pulley can't slip.
Otherwise, you need a new starter generator. Or a shop that can weld and mill the shaft back to 17mm, and re-cut a new key notch.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
GPASCART
Not Yet Wild

there is for sure 2 flat sides on this shaft , looks "factory" too me or someone put a different shaft in, it had a club car sticker on the motor. but all the pulleys i can find have the key ,, it could have been an incorrect from a previous repair
Old 06-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
GPASCART
Not Yet Wild

ITS ALIVE ! starter place had a the correct pulley ! easy fix thanks all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car