lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Cart does not start intermitant

1989 club car. I have been reading threads but need help. Cart intermittently will not turn over. Repeated steps on the pedal would get a start but has gotten too bad. Read threads and this is where I am at. batt read 12.14 on multimeter. multimeter black prob on neg batt terminal Red prob on stud of starter gen with the white wire. Meter bounced a lot but did not go over 3.2 volts. Installed batt from my car. Still intermittent no start. starter gen test again. Meter bounced usually volts around the threes but would go up to 11.4 when the cart would start. This battery seemed to be getting more successful starts, than the cart battery. I could hear sounds when stepping on the accelerator but since I don’t know what a solenoid sounds like, I can’t say if it was clicking or not. Jumped the solenoid with screw driver, cart would intermittently start. I couldn’t check the voltage. The micro switch’s seem to open ok but I could not see them on every try. The starter gen ground seems to be Ok During the no starts the cart would be silent or a whining sound coming from the lower front of the engine or could have been from the box with the solenoid. The whining was not the belt slipping. The other oddity was after all the testing, the positive battery post was hand burning hot. I am questioning if when jumping a solenoid if a screw driver does not always complete the jump on the no starts. I am not much of a golf cart mechanic and any advice on what the problem is and how to correct it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Cart does not start intermitant

Quote:
the positive battery post was hand burning hot.
That points to a bad connection at the positive cable. Corrosion or damage inside the cable, or a loose connection or corroded cable end at the battery.

The solenoid is inside the electrics box which may be metal on a cart that old. Right next to the battery on the inside of the frame rail. It should make a pretty obvious Clunk one time when you press the GO pedal. There are also switches on the throttle lever mechanism in the same box that will click, don't confuse those for the solenoid clicking. The solenoid you should be able to hear and feel it clunk if you put a finger on it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
SV1
Getting Wild

Battery cable, never thought of corrosion inside it but it is 30:years old. Would that explain the low voltage to starter and the multimeter voltage Reading jumping all over the place? I was so concentrated on the starter path. Please correct me if I am wrong. The starting path is the micro switch’s on the F&R shifter, micro switches in the control box, solenoid, starter gen. Another question the thin yellow wire coming out of the white wire pack going to starter, what is it going to on the bottom of the engine?
Thank much
Old 06-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Could very well explain the low voltage, yes. Even if that doesn’t fix your current problem, if that terminal is getting hot there’s something wrong there and it needs to be replaced.
Another possibility could be that the solenoid is bad and is not making good contact when the bridge closes. That would give similar results when testing voltage, but that would not chase the cable to heat up at the battery.

Wire diagram for your cart should be this one from the sticky thread at the top of the forum page: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...2&postcount=10
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
SV1
Getting Wild

Thank you l really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
SV1
Getting Wild

When I am reading threads, l like to know what solved the issue. For this I replaced the batt cable. This solved the hot terminal problem. Still starting problems. With the jumping readings to the starter, I changed the solenoid. Still starting problems but no jumping readings to the starter. However now every no start had a whine coming from the starter. No belt slippage. Changed the starter and starting issue seems to be solved. I don’t know if low amps damaged the starter or if one issue exposed weakness in the other parts.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #7
slowride
Not Yet Wild

I've been chasing this myself and after researching it will be replacing the st/gen brushes next week. Don't have a firm answer now, but is a known symptom of intermittent no start.
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car