lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default DS Idle mod

Just tried the idle mod on my 95 DS, disconnect the black wire from the lower switch in the control box and adjust the idle screw. Sounds simple and something I will want if I ever get it working. I make many short trips and would rather have the cart idling between stops rather than having it restart constantly.

Problem is I am unable to set the idle low enough to keep it from creeping but keep the engine running. Just bought this cart at an auction with an unknown history. At first I was thinking may just be old and tired so I did a compression check. Came up with 165 on my old sears compression gauge which I would call pretty good for a 25 year old engine.

Looking for ideas on what else to check and/or adjust.
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS Idle mod

What are you using to set the idle speed?
You may need to remove the carb and clean it really well so you know all of the ports are clean and the idle mixture screw is not clogged.

Typically you also need to install an idle spring in the clutch to allow the motor to spin fast enough to stay running without engaging the clutch. It can be done without the spring, but it's very tricky to get the idle just right. The spring makes a big difference though.
Also remember that even though the engine is idling, the starter generator will not be charging the battery. The solenoid has to be closed for the generator to charge, it also has to be spinning over about 700 rpm to produce voltage over rest battery voltage.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: DS Idle mod

Thanks for the response, as they say you can't get something for nutton. Will probably just go back to stock and live with it. It does work pretty well in stock mode.
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car