lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Only 37.2v After Full-Charge

Yes they all look equally as bad ... likely not being charged or all not accepting a charge. What is the date code on the batteries? What make and model of batteries?

Did this low pack voltage happen suddenly ... did you have a higher pack voltage before? What was the pack voltage when you bought the cart?

You still should do a load test on the pack at least. What does the battery pack voltage drop to while you are driving the cart?
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The older "semi-smart" chargers wouldn only hit 44-46v max while charging, and I've seen many users of those chargers get more than 5 years out of their packs. If the "not quite as good as a modern one" was good enough for 50 years, it probably isnt your main problem now (based on your observed voltage). Although, I do agree on being interested in knowing what the amps when it cuts off.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
christopher425
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Yes they all look equally as bad ... likely not being charged or all not accepting a charge. What is the date code on the batteries? What make and model of batteries?

Did this low pack voltage happen suddenly ... did you have a higher pack voltage before? What was the pack voltage when you bought the cart?

You still should do a load test on the pack at least. What does the battery pack voltage drop to while you are driving the cart?

So, with my family of 4 going up a modest incline it dipped to 34.4 and taking it up a pretty decent hill it went all the way to 33.4

Also, one of my Crown CR-205 batteries has the serial number sequence of H31172J1 0915, so I'm guessing they were manufactured in 2017?
christopher425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:25 AM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Your voltage drop under load looks very good ... not a problem there.

What is the make and model of your charger?
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #15
christopher425
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Your voltage drop under load looks very good ... not a problem there.

What is the make and model of your charger?

It's a Lestronic II Model# 14100 Type# 36LC21-6ET
Old 08-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
christopher425
Not Yet Wild

Do you suppose the shutoff timer in my charger has gone bad? What should my next step be?
Old 08-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Monitor the ammeter on the charger when nearing the end of the charge cycle. No need to drain it down for this test. Just plug it in.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #18
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You might also want to do multiple back to back charges to see if your batteries are capable of improving their state of charge. This will NOT hurt the batteries ... can only improve them.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
christopher425
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Monitor the ammeter on the charger when nearing the end of the charge cycle. No need to drain it down for this test. Just plug it in.
I've looked at the gauge on the front and it gets around 6 or so amps before shutting off. I'll try to get a more accurate reading using a multimeter. Do I remove the cover and just put the contacts to the back of the amp gauge inside the charger to get the amp reading?

Also, I emailed Crown and they confirmed that my batteries were made in August of 2017, so that has me wondering again if the charger is the issue. These batteries shoudn't be getting below a full charge with only being 3 years old, correct?
Old 08-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher425 View Post
These batteries shoudn't be getting below a full charge with only being 3 years old, correct?[/B]
It depends how they were looked after ... if looked after poorly, new batteries can die before a year old. With proper use, charging and maintenance, many BGW members report a battery life of 5 years with their golf carts, some report up to 7 years (this is exceptional) and some might even milk more life out of them.

Most batteries do not die a natural death ... they are killed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha