lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Ducker17
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger won't come one. Tried friend's on my cart and his won't come on either

Hmmmm. OK, I didn't realize that these were 8v batteries. So if I'm getting readings of about 8v's on each of the individual batteries, so it seems like the pack shouldn't be too low for my club car charger to see. Maybe I'm not getting something. At any rate, my utility charger does have a 2amp setting, but I don't have a digital voltmeter, so I guess I'll have to go get one and then start the interval charging. Thanks!
Ducker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger won't come one. Tried friend's on my cart and his won't come on either

Before you do that check for continuity between the recepticle and the pack

Also at 8v the battery is below empty. GC batteries are designed to work between 50-100% charge..... reference the chart below. Never take the pack below 50%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 17 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Ducker17
Not Yet Wild

OK, nice chart thanks. Do I check the continuity b/w the recepticle and the pack by taking volt readings at various points and checking all connections? Why is it that I would get some readings on the individual batteries, but nothing at the main POS and NEG connection for the pack? If there is something in the individual batteries shouldn't I get something at the main POS and NEG connection too? Would that be indicative of a disconnect somewhere between the pack and the main POS / NEG connection? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check the battery cables and connections. Each connection should survive a solid tug test? Connections need to be clean and tight! OR you could have some dead batteries? Did we ever get that total pack reading? Or just SOME 8s? You need a good DigitalVoltMeter. Available at Home Depot or such.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Ducker17
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'll go give them the tug test and will get a digital voltmeter at the Depot this afternoon and get good acurate readings. Will get back on here after I have the readings done. Thanks!.......Ducker17
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
Ducker17
Not Yet Wild

OK Scottyb, now we're getting somewhere! I was doing the solid tug test, and one of the cables that runs from the + of one battery to the - of the one beside it didn't even survive me grabbing hold of it. It came right off of the + side it was attached to. I had some replacement terminal connectors, so I cut it back to good clean wire, crimped on a new connector and bolted it back down. I then plugged my charger back into it. This time I got the audible "click" after a few seconds. However the click is typically followed by the arm on the charger meter flipping far over to the right to show current going across. But the meter arm stayed pegged to the left hand side (zero) and after a minute or two never bounced over. Might some fuse or breaker or something of the like blown when that battery cable was going bad? Thanks again! Ducker
Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The brain for that charger is in the cart (OBC) there is a fuse in a yellow inline holder behind the charger recepticle in the cart..... I think it is a 30amp bus fuse. Also we need to know ...
1. if there is enough voltage in the pack to start the charger
2. if the remaining cables and CHARGER wires to the pack are in good enough condition to work.
3. It is likely that all of the cables are in bad shape internally corroded = unwanted resistance. You are best off to replace all the battery cables now with an upgraded size 4ga. One end doesn't usually go bad long before the rest
Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Ducker17
Not Yet Wild

OK Scottyb, I'll check that bus fuse first and will also check whether the remaining cables and CHARGER wires to the pack are in good enough condition to work. Will replace cables with 4 ga cables.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Do all #6 cables with #4 , not just battery, U'll be a happier person !!
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car