lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
firebird_1995
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 txt intake valves shot and burning oil, replace rings too?

i have a 97 txt with a 295cc engine. i was having some power issues, especially going uphill. i adjusted the valves today and checked compression and im down to 125/100. it was 150/125 just a few weeks ago. i decided to pull the head to check the valves and sure enough the intake valves are so badly worn they are curled up on the ends. my question is this: should i go ahead and re-ring it while im at it? im confident that the low compression was due mostly to the intake valves BUT it has been burning oil also. you can tell that one cylinder (the one that had higher compression, less damaged intake valve, and more oily spark plug) had more oily carbon buildup than the other. im not sure if it could be an oil control ring stuck or just a bad valve stem seal. the cylinder walls look good and mic out to 2.525 (with a dial caliper, i dont have a bore gage). what are your thoughts/ experience on this? thanks a bunch. -chris
firebird_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 txt intake valves shot and burning oil, replace rings too?

I'd say since the engine is out and apart it couldn't hurt

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
firebird_1995
Not Yet Wild

thats what im leaning towards. since im about .005" over factory bore, and around .009" away from a .25mm oversize, what would you suggest i go with? im not sure what the upper wear limits on the factory bore is, but im sure by the time i hone it i'll well over the limit. do you think i could just use the hone to open the bores up to the +.25mm oversize?

edit: i just got the bore gage out and mic'd the cylinders per the repair manual. i only have .002-.003" difference between the bottom and top of the bore. the manual says to bore it after .004" difference. the engine is still in the cart, i just pulled the head today. i think i might just do a top end rebuild for now, see what the compression comes up too and if the smoke goes away. if that doesnt work i will plan on pulling the engine and going deeper. any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1995 View Post
any thoughts or suggestions?
Yes, you would be much better off to pull the engine, hone and re-ring it also if it's smoking. don't try and bore it out by honing, it doesn't work that way.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
firebird_1995
Not Yet Wild

i guess the chances of the oil entering the combustion chamber through the valve stem seals are less than it coming past the rings?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
i guess the chances of the oil entering the combustion chamber through the valve stem seals are less than it coming past the rings?
That has been my experiences with these engines, chances are you'll re-do the head and it'll smoke just like it did before.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

remember if you do a full rebuild, there will still be oil in the muffler, so the eng will still smoke for a few trips. I would just do a reman eng. they are easier to fool with, just replace, and it comes with a warranty.

i sold a reman eng to a customer and he brought it back stating that it smoked worse than the orig. i told him about the oil in muffler and he said i was crazy. Ordered him another eng and same thing. Long story short i had to refund his money back on 2 eng and he left with no eng. About 2 weeks later i ordered a muffler for the same cart thru someone else. i remembered the serial number. So i guess he was ashamed that i was correct about the muffler.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
firebird_1995
Not Yet Wild

when i originally bought this cart the previous owner gave me a new intake and exhaust valve that he had. after i got into the head and found both intakes to be bad i ordered another intake and exhaust valve. the ones that i had in the head, and the ones he gave me were for the 2 piece retainer. the ones i ordered, unfortunatly, are the old style single piece retainer. my question is, will these old style valves work if i get some one-piece retainers or do i need to replace the springs too?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
the ones i ordered, unfortunatly, are the old style single piece retainer. my question is, will these old style valves work if i get some one-piece retainers or do i need to replace the springs too?
I wouldn't down grade my engine just cause of 2 valves, the newer type is better. I'm surprised to even hear this question, I didn't think they made the old style anymore. I know you need to change all of it if going from old to new, I can only assume you need to do the same going the other way,
Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
firebird_1995
Not Yet Wild

ok. i wasnt aware it was a "down grade". i'll try to return them and get the right valves. thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO