lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
AMDnutt
Not Yet Wild

Default Ordered my Purple motor!

Called the guys at Plum Quick and ordered my new purple monster! I can't wait to get it!

The guys at PQ are great, they helped a lot. Great service and wonderful to talk to. They were going to try to ship yesterday so I should have it by the weekend. I figured since the battery pack was out and being rreplaced, I might as well do the motor now.

Any tips on installation? Also, my old motor is in good shape and is the GE Grey colored motor. Should I keep it as a spare or send it back for the core charge?

I will post info here on cart speed after installation and how things went.
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Gorhad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ordered my Purple motor!

what model cart did the motor come off and what voltage is it
Gorhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Put Tow/Run to Tow position
Remove Main Negative lead off battery pack.
Remove Main Positive lead off battery pack.
Write down wire color and position on current motor for reference.
Use 2 open end wrenches on the cable lead nuts so as not to spin the terminals internally and remove cables from motor.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor in place.
Tap on the back side of the motor, (where the leads are,) to loosen the motor from the differential with a rubber mallet.
Pull old motor off, (expect to have 40 pounds of motor hit the floor if not careful, might want to pad that area first.
Clean inside of differential from slung grease.
Apply non-seize grease to shaft
place new motor on shaft and slide to fit snug on differential.
Replace 4 bolts back to hold motor in place, careful to not over torque.
Replace cables on the same leads from original motor using two open end wrench's again
replace main positive lead on battery
replace main negative lead on battery pack
move tow/run switch in run position
turn on key, move forward/reverse switch to forward and tap pedal a couple of times to engage solenoid.
Have fun!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think you will be very happy with the purple power I put one in my cart about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. I get about 20 mph out of it on flats using the gps. As far as changing the motors out do everything scubabud said, the only thing I did that he didn't mention was to take a motorcycle tie down strap and wrap it around the old motor to give me something to hang onto when pulling the motor out. Hope you have fun with the new motor.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

Good idea on that strap. I did my motor from underneath since I have my charger/cord reel mounted in the bag-well. I used a pad just underneath the motor to help catch it when it was pulled out.

Here are some pictures to show what to expect and wire positions as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0880.jpg (66.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0885.jpg (98.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0889.jpg (91.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
AMDnutt
Not Yet Wild

scubabud - Thanks for the pics, I will be doing mine from underneath as well. It is pretty easy to get to with the lift on it. the backseat makes it hard to get to the access panel. The pics are helpful, and the steps are too!

I have the battery pack disconnected and removed, and tonight I labeled the wired to the motor. I also loosened all of the wires so they are ready to remove when the motor gets here. I think I'll put a beanbag under the axle to drop the motor into....

I will use Anti Seize on the shaft when assembling. thanks for that tip. I didn't think of that. I used it on all the suspension when I installed the lift but didn't think of the motor shaft. What about the motor bolts? I think I should use it there as well. Did you have a torque amount for the motor bolts? Or did you just tighten them "snug"?
AMDnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would suggest using a high quality greese over never seize as I have seen to many motor shafts seize with never seize (cooper,or nickle). This can happen in as little as 3 months, on industrial motors on conveyors, machinery at work.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
I would suggest using a high quality greese over never seize as I have seen to many motor shafts seize with never seize (cooper,or nickle). This can happen in as little as 3 months, on industrial motors on conveyors, machinery at work.
I've also used a light dab of marine grease on the shaft.

Don't over torque the bolts. I'm sure there is a torque amount set for them, (2 different sizes but I don't have a factory manual as to what that might be.) You should be able to feel how much it took to take them off, then use common sense as to how much to place them back to. I snug them down then go back and check again... and one more time to make sure... then maybe one more time to make sure again They're steel bolts going into aluminum... just be careful.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
Yes exactly, no stick is not a lubricant, It is a form of dielectric insulation to prevent galling and siezing.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is a standard chart, my beam torque wrench has a chart on the read out plate.
http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/kohler/page3/page3.html
I like a beam wrench over a clicker because I can see if I am spinning the fastener and the torque is not rising.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car