lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: mcor contoller

Thanks Scotty...This controller is a 4855 Alltrax for less than a non programable one. I just wanted to make sure I could change it from the preset 0-5K to the 5K-0 that I need. They didn`t know if i could change the setting or not. No I don`t need an extreme setup. I just need more torque! from a stop this thing won`t pull itself over a 2x4 at the moment. BUT once it gets going it really takes off. What size non programable would you suggest if I don`t get this other one?

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay just read your original post..... 400 would double your amperage now.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
CC-John'
I noticed in your IKE build that yours was a 96 and had a "black pot box" and not a mcor. Mines a 96 also. How can I tell if it is a pot box? And if it is what would be the setting for the Alltrax? Also I found an Alltrax that is precalibrated for 0-5K. Can it be changed to 5K-0? It is programable. I just didn`t know what was meant by precalibrated. Other than it is preset for 0-5K

CartTrader
CT,

The old style pot box will be mounted to the inboard side of the driver's side frame rail under the brake pedal, the MCOR box is mounted on the outboard side of the passenger side frame rail, and is connected to the pedal by a splined shaft.. According to the 1996 service manual, the old style pot box is supposed to be a 0-5K output, I never checked the one on "Ike" because it was trashed by the salt water when he was submerged.. After hearing nothing good about the old style box, I went ahead and installed the MCOR upgrade kit..

If the Alltrax controller you're looking at is the AXE series, then yes it can be programmed for any type of throttle input.. If it's the NPX series, then no it won't be programmable.. Some dealers will sell pre-programmed AXE series controllers.. It's easy enough to do on the bench, all you need is a laptop with the ControllerPro software, the proper USB to Series adapter cable, and a 12VDC power supply to power up the controller.. I pre programmed Ike's AXE 500 while sitting at the kitchen table..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
CT,

The old style pot box will be mounted to the inboard side of the driver's side frame rail under the brake pedal, the MCOR box is mounted on the outboard side of the passenger side frame rail, and is connected to the pedal by a splined shaft.. According to the 1996 service manual, the old style pot box is supposed to be a 0-5K output, I never checked the one on "Ike" because it was trashed by the salt water when he was submerged.. After hearing nothing good about the old style box, I went ahead and installed the MCOR upgrade kit..

If the Alltrax controller you're looking at is the AXE series, then yes it can be programmed for any type of throttle input.. If it's the NPX series, then no it won't be programmable.. Some dealers will sell pre-programmed AXE series controllers.. It's easy enough to do on the bench, all you need is a laptop with the ControllerPro software, the proper USB to Series adapter cable, and a 12VDC power supply to power up the controller.. I pre programmed Ike's AXE 500 while sitting at the kitchen table..

Ok I`m confused again...doesn`t take much!! Since I have a 96, it is a 0-5K pot box and NOT a 5K-0? Being it was black and under the driver area I first thought it was a Mcor. And yes it is an Axe series controller.

CartTrader
Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just went out, crawled under and double checked. It is a Pot Box, as it is located on the inside drivers rail under the brake pedal. So that means it is a 0-5K ?

CartTrader
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Ok I`m confused again...doesn`t take much!! Since I have a 96, it is a 0-5K pot box and NOT a 5K-0? Being it was black and under the driver area I first thought it was a Mcor. And yes it is an Axe series controller.

CartTrader
CT,

I'm just repeating what the 1996 factory service manual says about the pot box in the 1995/1996 model 48V DS carts.. I never checked the potbox that was in Ike to verify if the manual is correct, I ripped out all of the electrical in Ike and started from scratch since the cart was submerged in seawater over the top of the steering wheel for over ten hours while plugged into the charger.. On advice of other forum members, I went ahead and upgraded to the MCOR setup of the later carts..

If the controller you're looking at is the AXE series, it doesn't matter what signal your potbox puts out, you can program the controller to whatever signal you're getting to the controller.. I originally ordered Ike's controller pre-programmed based off of the service manual information.. But when I put the MCOR kit in, I ended up having to re-program it to the 5K-0 output of the MCOR.. Took all of two minutes..

Here's a couple of pics of the MCOR installation under Ike.. I took these when I was installing the new control harness I built..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1115.jpg (122.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1114.jpg (174.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Just went out, crawled under and double checked. It is a Pot Box, as it is located on the inside drivers rail under the brake pedal. So that means it is a 0-5K ?

CartTrader
CT,

Here's the exact description of the the old style pot box verbatim, from the 1995/1996 DS factory service manual.. Manual# 101905101, Edition Code: 1196H0799C..

Quote:
Continuously Variable Potentiometer Models:

The speed control circuit consists of a solid state three-wire potentiometer. With the car in forward, the potentiometer resistance varies from approximately 0 to 300 ohms with the accelerator pedal up (at rest position) to approximately 5500 ohms with the pedal fully depressed (for full speed operation, resistance must be above 4600 ohms and below 7000 ohms). When the vehicle is put in reverse, a limit switch is engaged that brings an additional resistor into the circuit at the F&R limit switch No. 3. This reduces vehicle top speed in reverse to half of forward top speed.
So to answer your question.... Yes, according to the service manual, it's 0-5K.. To confirm, disconnect the small green & yellow wires at the controller, connect a ohmmeter across the the two wires, and with the key on and the shifter in forward, slowly mash the "GO" pedal and note the readings on the meter..
Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks CC-J ...Glad I finally got that cleared up!! :-) I went and ordered my 4855 axe controller and will be letting all know what happens when I get it and installed.

CartTrader
Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The service manual is wrong... The only 0-5K 48Volt car Club Car ever built was in 1995... for the first 16 weeks... These cars had multi-step V-Glide switches. Not trying to butt in on your knowledge... it's obvious you know your stuff. But seriously, this isn't the first time I've ever seen a misprint in a Club Car manual... Every potbox is 5K-0, as is every V-Glide with either the three pin or six pin plug, and every MCOR. The old 0-5K V-glides did not have plugs.. they were hardwired into the system by removing the rear cover and hooking the wires directly to the contact posts... White and Black.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
nelly1052
Getting Wild

You will definately notice a lot more torque with a 400 to 500 amp controller. I had a 225 amp, could go 23 mph but had trouble going up hills. Put in a 500 amp and it will spin the tires up hill. Not much of an increase in speed but lots better torque.
nelly1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car