lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
procomp
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 motor compression

what is the compression suppose to be? Mines around 95-100.

I ask because its lacking in power. Won't rev up and smokes a lot. Kind of like its pig rich.

If I put it up on jackstands it rev's out nice and shift the clutches right out. Basically sounds perfect in the air.

Where to start trouble shooting?
Thanks
procomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 motor compression

With a new top end you should have about 125 psi. If your cart is an 82 it would be lower...... somewhere around 95.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
procomp
Not Yet Wild

Mine could be an 82. I can't find a serial number or figure out what year it is. Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by procomp View Post
what is the compression suppose to be? Mines around 95-100.

I ask because its lacking in power. Won't rev up and smokes a lot. Kind of like its pig rich.

If I put it up on jackstands it rev's out nice and shift the clutches right out. Basically sounds perfect in the air.

Where to start trouble shooting?
Thanks
Well, your compression is a little low to get good power, along with the smoking it could be worn rings/scored cyl.
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As you said, "like it's pig rich", so make sure that is not the problem. Is the gas fresh? Oil mix is right? Check carb settings, go to the lean side and see if that makes it better. How is the spark? Check the plug and wires, make sure you observe a good spark. How is the air filter, try with it removed. Is the exhaust plugged? try with it off the engine. Investigate the crankshaft seals for leakage. If you haven't found something you could say for sure was the problem you will need to look into a rebuild.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

Well I'm no expert on golf carts but am refurbishing a G1. Yours sounds like mine did when I first purchased it used as used can be. I had to rebuild/clean engine and do a muffler BBQ to get rid of the stink/smoke. Also, like Caddylac said, I replaced the fuel lines, filter, gas and oil. Now runs well, no sputtering and no smoke or stink. The muffler BBQ is nearly a must with these old two cycles if you want to get rid of the smoke and stink. See posts on muffler BBQ. Lots of folks steered me in that direction and it worked well.
Bodzcampers (Mike)
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
procomp
Not Yet Wild

hey caddylac camper, I'm in Winnipeg too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I took the air filter right off and it ran better. Cleaned it up and put it back on and now it seems to only run better when I have the choke on. So it went from too much fuel to too little fuel. Anyway, I'm going to try and clean the carb and change all the filters and lines like suggested and see what happens. Seems carb related more then engine related at this point.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice to meet you Procomp, look for a serial number on the left rear of the frame. If you need help with anything shoot me a private message, I'm no cart expert but have extensive mechanical experience and will be happy to help out.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
bodzcampers
Getting Wild

Don't forget the muffler BBQ. Trust me, you'll be happy and it's easy.
Bodzcampers (Mike)
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
procomp
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddylac camper View Post
Nice to meet you Procomp, look for a serial number on the left rear of the frame. If you need help with anything shoot me a private message, I'm no cart expert but have extensive mechanical experience and will be happy to help out.
ya its mostly rubbed off

Can anyone tell by the front spindle design?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spindle.jpg (179.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha