lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
br0dy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha gas golf cart, buying used: what can break? What to look for?

Hi, I'm looking at various golf carts here and there online, trying to find one to buy. Currently, it's a 1994 with a new motor, for pretty cheap, but a few hours away from me so sort of a schlep to take a look at (would go and buy if I liked it).

My question (I'm totally new to golf carts) is this: what's there on a golf cart that could cause repairs to be made, if it breaks? The big stuff?

If it has a new motor, I need to additionally worry about....transmission? Clutches? Brakes? What else? Sort of clueless....

Is the starter generator in the motor, or is that different? Someone told me that can go bad...
br0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha gas golf cart, buying used: what can break? What to look for?

As with all machinery, stuff wears out with usage and exposure to the climate. You have to evaluate how frequent it was used, where it was stored and what repairs have been put into it. If you are capable of doing a ground up restore then a basket case for cheap would be ok. I like to buy stuff that has been taken care of and has had repairs when needed. Generally the older the cart is the more work it will take to fix it up and parts can be hard to get. If you are looking for a used cart that needs minimal fixing look to the rental carts being sold off by golf clubs. You might pay more but you will be getting a newer model cart that should not need major work. On the other hand an older cart that has been looked after can still be very reliable.
The starter/generator you asked about is on the motor but is a seperate piece of the motor assembly.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha