lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where do i put 3rd wire on powerwise qe charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake91876 View Post
I don't have marathon recepticle but I can get a new set of plugs will this charger work that way.
It should, but I'm basing that on the way a 36V PW-QE works and other 48V chargers work.
I don't have any specific wiring information on a 48V PW-QE.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
anthonyst
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, I know this is an older post but I am trying to do what you said here. I have a powerwise charger and a cart with SB-50 connector. I am not sure what to do with the red wire that tells the charger to come on? If I connect it to the black wire won't that keep the charger on all the time? Until I disconnect it from the wall that is.
anthonyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyst View Post
Sorry, I know this is an older post but I am trying to do what you said here. I have a powerwise charger and a cart with SB-50 connector. I am not sure what to do with the red wire that tells the charger to come on? If I connect it to the black wire won't that keep the charger on all the time? Until I disconnect it from the wall that is.
No, the charger will shut off when the On-Charge voltage climbs into the 44-46 Volt range.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The grey "wire" is a temp sensor (actually has two small wires inside). The ring on the grey wire that goes on a battery terminal should have no conductive path into the charger, and can be on any terminal.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
crackers450
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB,
This the problem I have, can I change the powerwise 3 wire plug to the SB50 by connecting the red sensor wire to the negative black wire in the plug to make it work ?
Cheers
crackers450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #16
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamnut View Post
Hi
This I what I know about the charger on a 2009 RXV. The third wire supplies 4.7 volts to the electronics of the cart. On mine there is an LED light in the receptacle which comes on. The 4.7 volts also disables the cart from being operated. The charger itself senses the current draw of the 4.7 volt line and tells the microprocessor to turn on the charger. The added safety feature of the third wire is that the connection is shorter than the plus minus pins. If you pull out the plug this pin breaks first turning off the charger. 48 volts at 13 or so amps can create quite an arc. There is no problem connecting this pin to minus and the charger wouldn’t the difference.
This above info is incorrect as far as i know. The grey "wire" is actually 2 wires inside going to a temp sensor in the black box with ring terminal. The ring terminal does not actually power anything, it only conducts the temperature of the battery terminal into the little black box. The charger should work with the grey "wire" hooked to nothing, but the charger will tailor the charge profile to match the battery temp if the black box is placed on any terminal (it is usually put on the main POS terminal of the pack, but should not matter which terminal it is on). The blue wire will not be used in your application, it is the "interlock" that prevents driving away while plugged in (normally hooks to the controller, and your controller has no provision for it).
Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers450 View Post
JohnnieB,
This the problem I have, can I change the powerwise 3 wire plug to the SB50 by connecting the red sensor wire to the negative black wire in the plug to make it work ?
Cheers
The red sensor wire would be connected to the same terminal it is pointing toward in the DC charge handle.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
crackers450
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi All,
Just completed a temporary fix for the lestronic charger to SB50 receptacle, red + & black - wires soldered to new connections, new red sensor - wire soldered to the new black wire -, undone the powerwise plug, connected (via screw) the red + wire to the white + wire from the charger, connected (via screw) the new black wire - to the black wire - coming from the charger, uncoupled the red sensor wire - & connected the new red - sensor wire via a new spade connection, temporarily tapped the old handle to the sb50 plug, plugged it in without 240v power connected, click click sounded right, plugged in the 240v power 4secs later it fired up (click from the relay then a hum from the transformer) and started charging, amp gauge shot up to 25amps then slowly worked it's way back to 10 amps, I keep checking the charger to make sure everything is ok, when my new Anderson SB50 plugs & handles arrive I will take photo's of the procedure and post for all incase someone else needs to do this
Cheers
crackers450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #19
m.smith1979
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. That blue wire was driving me nuts.
m.smith1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO