lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
luke21er
Not Yet Wild

Default marathon no spark

Hello, I got my first buggie and am trying to get it going. My buggie doesn't have the tag on it for me to figure out exactly what year it is but from the body I can tell that it is an early 80's or late 70's marathon. The motor will turn over but I only get spark right when the microswitch for the accelorator is released, then that is it. I checked all of the grounds and cleaned them up. Now from my research I was going to try and do the HEI conversion but with the voltage regulator/starter relay I am not sure how I want to run the wiring to it. I have checked the different diagrams that were posted but I dont believe they match up to mine. The engine is a 244 robins so any guidance that you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
luke21er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: marathon no spark

Can you post a photo of the cart? It may help to get a visual just because there is a difference in late 70's (depending on how late) and early 80's carts. Engine pic would be helpful as well. I just did the conversion recently on my 81 marathon and had to look at 4 different diagrams. No two were the same, yet they all were year specific to my cart.
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, Is the solenoid original to the cart?
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
bucketman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Same problem with mine! In the process of troubleshooting now. Ohming out my pulser coil is telling me it is not operating as it should. New one should arrive tomorrow,and hopefully that will cure my ailments! Not much help from here so far.... Download the manual, has proven to be very helpfull! Good Luck!
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Bucketman let us know if it solves your problem. Do you still have the original ignitor ? check back please.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
bucketman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

New pulser coil fixed the problem, Also did the Chevy HEI Ignition upgrade. Used an ignition module from a 77 chevy truck and the stock ezgo coil. Had all the same issues as other have had with the cart idling but stumbling with throttle. I mounted my module on a piece of aluminum 1/4" flat stock, ran a dedicated ground wire to the negative post on the solinoid, and wired the module to the diagram posted somewhere on here. Now she runs great, reached 20.9MPH today! have to work on the exhaust though, have a rather loud exhaust leak at the muffler. Fix-n-2 fab up my own header with a old slip on muffler from my Harley and see how that comes out!
bucketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Cool I didn't know you already had done the HEI that's why I was asking about the ignitor. I also mounted my module as you did an a heat sink and the ground and as you said it works great. ENJOY

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO