lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Scooter_350
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 cc ds arcing

I have a 1985 club car ds golf cart. My daughter was riding it onendaynit wouldn't stop, even with the key switched off. I had to lock the parking brake and switch it to neutral. Upon further investigation I notice when I would switch it to forward or reverse the switch would arc and continue to arc until I placed it back in neutral. I ordered a new forward/reverse switch and it is having the same problem. I made sure I hooked the wires up correctly because I swapped the wires one at a time. I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct switch even though the new one looked a little bit different. The new one was more encased than the older one. When I placed the switch in forward I noticed one of the batteries got very hot so I unhooked the cable very quickly. I don't know much about golf carts, but I do have some knowledge on electronics as far as automotive. If anyone can tell me where to look for manuals and/or wiring diagrams it would be greatly appreciated, and also any suggestions on where the most likely cause is would be awesome, or at least where to look. Thanks in advance for any help, and your time.
Scooter_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
SD70ACe
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 cc ds arcing

Assuming you have a 36V resistor coil setup, it sounds like one or more of the solenoids and/or microswitches has welded itself closed. The solenoids are right behind the batteries and have the resistor coils bolted on top. The microswitches are located in a metal box under the driver's side floor. Unfortunately there are 5 solenoids and 5 switches and if you're unsure about which speed it's stuck in you will need to test each one until you find the bad one. My 87 had 2 bad solenoids, 2 bad microswitches and a worn out switch slider so I went in and just replaced everything, microswitches, solenoids, buss bar, resistor coils, everything! Definitely consider investing in a service manual. They're not cheap but they can be worth their weight in gold in times like this. I got mine here: http://www.diygolfcart.com/club-car-...-p/1011633.htm
SD70ACe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Scooter_350
Not Yet Wild

Thank you do much for your help. I have been looking for some wiring diagrams and manuals but with no luck. You have actually given me somewhere to look now. Thanks again. I'll repost when I find something out
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Scooter_350
Not Yet Wild

What else did you replace besides the solenoid, microswitches, buss bar, resistor coils? Just curious what else I might need to look for
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car