lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 EZGO fuel problem please help

Hi all I just bought this 2004 EZGO Cart and it was recently retired from a golf course.
This has never been owned by a private person or modified
Primary Problem is Cart won't start so far I have done the following
I drained all of the gas from the fuel tank.
I have good spark.
The starter/generator works
I got the cart to run with starter fluid and it moved properly in forward and reverse.
If I try and run the cart normally off the fuel tank fuel just pours out of the carb into the fuel filter housing.
I have never rebuilt a carb. But I assume I have a fuel problem
Can someone tell me what to do next? Is there a write up with pictures showing how to rebuild the carb?

I appericate any help that can be provided.

Thanks
Deshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Jpunt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO fuel problem please help

The Service Manual in the tech section should have a diagram of the carb and I believe it does have a section of going through it. But basically just take it off and make sure the floats are OK, and blow out the jets with carb clean and/or compressed air and clean everything up inside. Also make sure it is adjusted correctly, the manual should cover that as well.
Jpunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sounds like the float is stuck and flooding the carb. It will need to come off and be cleaned. It is not hard to do but if you have never done it before it might be a bit intimidating. Making sure to pay close attention.. Pull the air hose off the front of the carb, disconnect any hoses and linkages and remove the two nuts holding it on. Once off, remove the bowl and check the float to see if it will swing. If not, pull the pivot pin out making sure not to lose the needle valve and spray everything with carb cleaner. I use a bread tie striped to the wire and clean every hole I can find. Spray up through the center and through the side of the post. Reassemble and see what happens..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

do I need a rebuild kit or gasket kit to reassemble the carb. I have never successfully fixed a carb issue without help. Do I need to mark anything before I remove it?
I will try and find the tech manuel and figure it out.

I was reading a few other posts could this be a valve problem?

thanks for the quick responses.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

I took everything apart and clean the carb. I took the carb to advanced auto parts and everyone there said the bowl looked good.

I put it all back together and the carb is still allowing fuel to flow out of it.

I called my local ezgo go dealer and they said that they could rebuild the carb for about $100.00 but they are three weeks backed up with work.
My dealer said there is not a rebuild kit they just replace the bad parts.

I see carbs online from $90-125.

Do the new carbs come pre-adjusted?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it still has fuel flowing either the float is bad or the needle and seat. Take it apart again and shake the float. if it rattles or has fluid in it, it is bad. I think the needle and seat are all metal so they may just be dirty. Take a Q-tip and some carb cleaner and clean out the seat. Once done, put the needle and float back on and make sure they are closing correctly.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

someone told me that the valves could need to be adjusted. I took the carb apart twice and the float is not full of fuel. I am not a carb expert but I used two cans of carb cleaner, air, bread twisty ties and pipe cleaners to clean it. I hope that it is good know.

I am going to check the valves and report back.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

I believe that the carb is still messed up. I adjusted the valves, changed the oil, and cleaned the spark plugs.

I took the cart to the neighborhood lawnmower guy that has been doing small engine work since the 1950's. He knows carbs inside and out hopefully I will have some good news Monday.

Thanks for all of the help everyone

Tags
carberator, exgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO