lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default New cart, RXV or TXT?

I'm strongly considering a new EZ-Go cart and have a couple of questions:

First, it must fit into the standard 8' bed of my pickup truck. Unfortunately, that seems to rule out the models that have a fold-down seat/utility bed, is that correct?

Looking at the TXT and RXV models: The RXV is more powerful and has a dash-mounted F/R switch, which I kinda like. However, it has that electric parking brake, which I understand has been problematic in the past. It also uses 4, 12 volt batteries instead of the 6, 8-volt jobs.

The TXT has a DC motor and 6, 8-volt batteries, plus a conventional parking brake.

Top speed seems to be about the same, but that's unimportant to me anyway. Ability to climb ramps into my truck and hill capability IS important. I'll want a voltage reducer for sure. May even have the dealer install it.

Which would you guys buy, and why?

For point of reference, I have a 1979 Club Car that I've completely rewired, using a Curtis 1205 controller. It works OK, but one axle is slightly bent, something that I didn't realize until we actually had it running. I'm tired of working on it, and recently came into a bit of money that's burning a hole in my pocket. :-)

Thanks in advance!!
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New cart, RXV or TXT?

WOW, seeing as how you are talking NEW....you got some deep pockets. lol

Good Luck.

I don't think I could help you much, as I have a TXT and don't know anything about the AC system of the RXV....so I couldn't offer you much as a comparison.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I will give this a shot. Standard TXT or RXV are 94 inches or less in length stock. They will fit in an 8 ft bed with a rear seat kit if you leave the gate down. They will also fit in my 6 1/2 bed with the gate down or off.

Not sure what you mean on the TXT not having the FnR on the dash unless you are talking series cart. You would want a PDS TXT Freedom

TXT has a 250 amp controller while the RXV is 235 (From EZs site) RXV is a 3 phase AC motor so it does pull well.

Speed for both should be 19ish.

Now as for buying new... Not sure why but if you want, that is your option. I never would..

My preference, I have not ridden in a new Freedom TXT PDS cart but I believe it is the same frame and suspension setup they have been using since the early 90s so it is my opinion the RXV rides better due to the A arm front suspension. In comparing a 2012 PDS vs an RXV they drive very different. They both have regen braking but the normal braking in an RXV is something you have to get used to.

My opinion is to go drive them both and see what you like. If you could find a local golf course that had them that would be a better real world test as the real would isn't a flat parking lot. You need bumps to drive over.

Good luck
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
well said

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

kgsc,
The F/R switch location is from the EZ-Go web site.

I hadn't noticed the difference in suspension types, thanks for pointing that out.

Leaving the tailgate down on the truck is out of the question, as I usually have my travel trailer connected when I'm hauling the cart. Besides, it CAN'T fall out if the tailgate is closed. :-)

It appears as though the RXV uses the motor for the service brakes. That's kinda cool, there should be no "wear out" or adjustment to that arrangement.

How does the range and torque compare, RXV vs. TXT. And, how does it compare to my old CC series cart? That thing will easily spin the wheels on smooth concrete.

As far as buying new vs. used: I've been buying and repairing junk my whole life. Now, at 70 years old, no kids, a wife with Alzheimer's, and a decent portfolio, I'm realizing that I really should enjoy life a bit. You may have noticed that they don't put trailer hitches on hearses.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
. You may have noticed that they don't put trailer hitches on hearses.
that's a keeper !!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

CTD,
Another way of putting it is, "you don't see U-Haul trucks in a funeral procession".
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
gladdengolfcarts
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have carried both carts. The TXT is the tried and true line. The PDS TXT does come with a dash mounted rocker F/R switch. The F/R switch for the RXV is built into the key switch. When we discuss ride I can't help but remember we are talking about a golf cart. That being said neither of them is a Lexus, but neither of them beat you to death either. The RXV has a quicker hole shot compared the the TXT, but top end is comparable. Having the 6 batteries rather than 4 gives the TXT more amps thus in theory could provide more torque, but the controllers are rated fairly close with the TXT topping the RXV slightly. I like the body on the RXV better, but I have better luck with the TXT realiablity.
gladdengolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like your thinking Jdunmyer. My only experience is with our TXT, a 2000 PDS 36v model. The controller is a 300 amp, we have knobby tires on the back, a utility bed, and HD rear springs otherwise it is bone stock. I could not be happier. It does everything I want which is hauling me around the neighborhood, hauling tools and debris around the yard and neighborhood, checking the mail, feeding he next door cats/kittens, etc.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
CTD,
Another way of putting it is, "you don't see U-Haul trucks in a funeral procession".
you've never been to a redneck funeral !!!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO