lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
mark38090
Not Yet Wild

Default HD f/r switch cracked and burned

I have a 2008 EZ-Go txt series cart that I use daily for work. I pull a trailer and deliver drinks and such inside a prison where gas is not allowed. The f/r reverse switch was replaced Nov 2012 with a heavy duty switch at a cost of $508 and now it looks as though it is fried again. What causes this and can the plate be replace without having to replace entire switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131226_090317_753 small.jpg (62.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131226_090328_591 small.jpg (76.2 KB, 0 views)
mark38090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HD f/r switch cracked and burned

From your description I'm guessing you do a lot of slow driving with a pretty good load. I'm not surprised by your pictures. A stock rotary style switch is not the best bet for this application. Consider converting over to a reversing contactor set up for more reliable operation.

Click the link below for more info:
Reversing Contactor conversion kits
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I may be wrong, but that looks like a stock F-R switch to me.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I may be wrong, but that looks like a stock F-R switch to me.

He didn't post the HD portion which is the cam button with thicker buss bars. I believe the plate pictured is same on all versions.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

That looks painfully familiar to me.

Here's what mine looked like about a month ago:

But....that's the past. I now have installed the "ScottyB" Super Duty Reversing Contactor!! (The Super Duty is "more heavy" duty than his "heavy duty" contactor.) Now I don't get any more heat!!! Worth the upgrade.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
mark38090
Not Yet Wild

Is it possible to bypass the f/r switch until I can get replacement? If I can just get forward i'm good, my inmates can push the cart backwards if needed.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
Is it possible to bypass the f/r switch until I can get replacement? If I can just get forward i'm good, my inmates can push the cart backwards if needed.
The F/R switch is basically a DPDT switch. Figure out which of the four cables are connected together when F/R is in forward and bolt them together.

On the attached schematic, it appears that the cables going to A & D would be connected together and the cables going to B & C would be connected together, but your cart might be wired differently.

The F/R switch will have to be assembled and in the F position, or MS-2 won't be closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A2 -Hi-Current traced.JPG (57.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
mark38090
Not Yet Wild

Tried but no success. I'm gonna try some more testing tomorrow. Might take a month for state to buy f/r switch...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
mark38090
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The F/R switch is basically a DPDT switch. Figure out which of the four cables are connected together when F/R is in forward and bolt them together.

On the attached schematic, it appears that the cables going to A & D would be connected together and the cables going to B & C would be connected together, but your cart might be wired differently.

The F/R switch will have to be assembled and in the F position, or MS-2 won't be closed.
On your diagram, is the "a" terminal on the top of the plate? Then do they go clockwise? I'm trying to talk them into buying the reversing contactor setup that is suggested above but its extremely hard for the state to purchase from internet. In the mean time I'm doing a ton of walking...
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The "A" terminal is on the bottom, and they are counted clockwise.

The same F/R assembly was used on earlier carts and it hung down from the seat frame instead of being bottom mounted. The labeling stayed the same, so "A" is on the bottom when the assembly is bottom mounted.

Here is a drawing of the F/R assembly. It is show in the hanging position, so turn the picture upside down to see the way the terminals are labeled in your cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-N-R wiring.JPG (62.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO