lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
bgleroy
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 EzGo running on One Cylinder

I have a 97 EZGO Gas, but not sure which model. It has the 295 engine. When I got it, the engine was seized. I put some diesel in each cylinder and left it for several months. A few weeks ago, I took the plugs out, made sure it had oil in it, and put a wrench on the flywheel nut and gently turned, and the engine turned. After one turn I was able to spin it by hand relatively easily. I then used a battery to turn the engine over slowly with no plugs. Then I put it up on ramps and changed the oil. It was pretty dirty, and a few particles of metal shavings, but only a few. With fresh oil in, I put in plugs and tried to start it. It started right up once I put in new fuel, but would only run when choked. Today, I took the carb off and cleaned it all. Once back together, it started right up and would run without choke. It seemed to accelerate quickly then run quietly at a medium speed. I assume that is due to the governor. I then took the family for a ride, we got a few blocks away, and it started making a large tapping sound, but only at full speed, at slow speed it seemed to sound normal. I came home and was checking it out. I still haven't found where the sound is coming from, I need to put it up onto jacks to run, but it almost sounds like its coming from under the cover that goes over the flywheel. However, while troubleshooting, I tried running with just one plug at a time connected. I found that it doesn't run with just the driver side cylinder is connected. The plug has spark. Not sure where to go next.

Could it be valves? Rings?

I'm open to suggestions...

THanks,
Brian
bgleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
deerhunter30
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EzGo running on One Cylinder

I'm not sure but mine wouldn't run on one cylinder either, but I know it was worn out. And adjusting the valves couldn't hurt.
deerhunter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

you need to do a compression test to know more,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
bgleroy
Not Yet Wild

Here is a bit of an update, I finally had a couple minutes to look at it today.

Good news is that both cylinders have at least some compression. The left has about 90 w/o Oil, and the right has about 105 w/o Oil. Adding a few drops to each cylinder showed the left with about 110 and right about 120.

Still, only the right cylinder runs. The plug on the left side is definitely getting spark. I tried swapping the plugs, and no change. I shot a little ether directly into the left cylinder, put the plug back and it still doesn't fire.

Now the noise, it seems to be coming from the base of the engine area. It sounds more like a rattle or tap of something being loose, no grinding noise at all.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter30 View Post
And adjusting the valves couldn't hurt.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
bgleroy
Not Yet Wild

This morning I was able to adjust the valves to .004, cold. I loosen the lock nut on the valves and verified that I could push each of the valves open easily. One of the valves on the bad cylinder was really tight, I think it was intake but not sure. Still wasn't running, but the spark plug on the non running cylinder is definitely getting wet with fuel now.

I started messing with the plug wires. I found that if I used the long wire meant for the left cylinder on the right cylinder, it didn't work either. But the short wire for the right cylinder was too short to hook on the left. So I removed the coil and moved it over so the short wire could reach the left cylinder and it ran! But either cylinder will only run off of the wire on one side of the coil. So I suspect I have a bad coil and at least one bad wire. I'm going to pickup a new coil and wires.

I still have the other noise to figure out next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO