lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
StarbaseDS9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT Moves Using Starter

Greetings; Just got a used '02 gas TXT. I have already been here dozens of times. You folks and this forum are brilliant!

I know I saw this answered in another thread; probably the performance one. For the life of me though I can't find it. After talking my cart 100 miles back to the dealer for several issues, I now have a new one. I don't want to go back. The cart jumps the gun on moving now; particularly in reverse. Before you could tell that after starting you'd give it some gas to move. Now it moves right away and I'm pretty sure even as or before it has started. I'm assuming that isn't nice for the battery or starter. What do I adjust to calm the engagement down a bit? I did put the shorter belt on, but it didn't behave like this until I got back from the shop. Much thanks!
StarbaseDS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT Moves Using Starter

I do not know that specifics of your cart but I suspect that like mine there is no way to adjust the distance between the two clutches. The answer is right at the end of your question "I put a shorter belt on". As it happens I did the same when I was new to this forum and rebuilding my cart. I have now come to the conclusion that this is an urban myth that appears to have gone viral. The theory being that a shorter belt somehow magically increases the torque of the engine. In fact a shorter belt will be picked up by the drive clutch earlier and at lower rpms thus take off will be at lower engine speed and torque. The purpose of the constantly variable transmission is to keep the engine revs right on the sweet spot at all speeds and messing with the belt length is not going to help that. What it will do is place greater strain on the battery, starter, clutch bearings and engine mounts. So how did this myth start? Well I suspect that people have a worn stock belt (which wears on the sides not the bottom) and this over a period of years reduce the performance of the cart. Then they install a shorter belt and all of a sudden the cart runs great (just like it did when it had a new stock belt).

So cut off the short belt and install the correct belt. Now the starter will turn the drive clutch and there will be enough slack not to turn the driven. Problem solved.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
StarbaseDS9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

To my disappointment I can confirm that both statements seem true. Thank you Dave.

I don't know why it wasn't acting prematurely right away, but before I took the new belt off I played around a bit. Living up a steep hill as I do, I checked using my cell phone to see if the speeds were any different between the two belts. Their were only minor fluctuations. In fact the new belt seemed to do worse for some runs. I was bummed too because I read that belt tip here in a sticky post and no one immediately mentions in the thread that it actually might not work.

It would seem if I want better speeds uphill there won't be any affordable modifications to accomplish that.
StarbaseDS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Once again you hit the key word "affordable". These carts were designed to drag a couple of guys and their clubs across a manicured lawn at 12 mph. If you want it to do better than that then you are going to have to put a bigger engine in it. Now you are spending money. Is it worth it? That depends on you, for me the Robin 247 cc two stroke gets me 20 mph and that is quite enough bang for my buck.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moves, txt, using starter, with starter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO