lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
shawnbk1
Not Yet Wild

Cool 1989 EZGO gas, starter works but engine won't run and tires don't turn

I have a 1989 3 wheel marathon that i just acquired that has not ran in a long time. I changed the battery, all fuel lines, fuel filter, spark plug, and cleaned the carb. When i put it in gear and press the gas the starter turns the motor but it never fires and the wheels don't turn. I checked the fuel pump by pulling the fuel line to the carb and its getting gas, i checked the spark plug and its firing, and I'm getting 120 on my compression test.

any ideas how i can get these wheels spinning?

Thanks
shawnbk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO gas, starter works but engine won't run and tires don't turn

You could push it. Lol I'm just kidding.

Is the spark plug wet after you try to start it?
rfincher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Check your crank case seals, if they are blown out it won't crank. Also pull the fuel pump off and take it apart, if the bottom diaphragm is tore, it will still pump gas but it will also pump it into you crank case and it won't start...
Check for fuel leaks and wet spot on the underside of motor, if the crank case is leaking and pump is fluxing the case it will be wet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
jlloyd
Getting Wild

*Flooding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO gas, starter works but engine won't run and tires don't turn

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
shawnbk1
Not Yet Wild

i think jlloyd got it. i took the fuel pump off and tore it down, cleaned it out, and put it back on and i got it to turn over. Now when the engine does fire off it blows thick heavy smoke out the exhaust. Its a bright white, blueish color which leads me to think its an oil issue now. Being that the engine hasn't run in probably 6 years is it just old oil, grime that needs to burn off and then it should be OK or does the oil injector system possibly need adjustments?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbk1 View Post
i think jlloyd got it. i took the fuel pump off and tore it down, cleaned it out, and put it back on and i got it to turn over. Now when the engine does fire off it blows thick heavy smoke out the exhaust. Its a bright white, blueish color which leads me to think its an oil issue now. Being that the engine hasn't run in probably 6 years is it just old oil, grime that needs to burn off and then it should be OK or does the oil injector system possibly need adjustments?
Rip off all the oil injection garbage and plug the hole where the oil injects into the intake. Premix your fuel at 128:1 (1 oz. per gallon). The oil injection system is unreliable, premixing is the way to go - use good quality 2 stroke oil.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
shawnbk1
Not Yet Wild

the oil comes out of the oil reservoir into a small little unit that it bolted on the side of the engine. can that be removed too?

Can i mix the oil in the actual gas tank or so i need to mix it in a separate container then pour it in? Is using a higher octane gas better to clean out all the old sludge or any other additives recomended?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
jlloyd
Getting Wild

Take off everything partaining to the oil pump and discard, mix one oz. oil to one gallon of gas in a gas can then put into tank. Make sure you find a small screw that will tap into the intake hole where you remove the banjo bolt so it seals the hole up good
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
shawnbk1
Not Yet Wild

Got the oil injector off and the cart is running now. took it out for its first spin down the road yesterday. Im still getting a lot of white smoke. is their an adjustment on the carb that might make it run a little better? Also with the smoke i noticed an exhaust leak where it comes out of the motor. where is the best place to find that gasket?

Thanks for all the help getting this cart back up and running!

Tags
1989 gas engine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO