lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Ticky588
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1985 ezgo marathon not getting fuel

Hi all, looking for some help. Here is what is going on.
Picked up a non running 1985 ezgo marathon a few weeks ago.
First off battery is shot, jumped a good battery to it. cart turns over and sounds like it wants to run.
Checked for spark, all set there.
Checked for fuel, nothing. No fuel in any of the lines. Siphon tube appears to be ok...
I replaced all fuel lines (but no the siphon). still nothing.
Brand new fuel filters had been installed by someone else. in fear that they were wrong and too restrictive i by passed them for testing only and connected the fuel line right onto the fuel pump. Still nothing.
Checked compression, 100-105 psi. (this seems low, but i would think it would be enough to start the car still, am i wrong???)
Pulled the fuel line off the carb to check for fuel coming from the pump. Gas would drizzle out while turning the cart over. (is a drizzle ok, or should there be some pressure behind it?)
Bought a fuel pump rebuild kit for it on ebay for $12, installed it on saturday (i may have had a few beers in the process) no change.
The cart will start and run when i shoot some spray in the carb. nothing seems to be clogged. This is my first golf cart.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Tonight i plan to check the fuel pump 1 more time, and maybe look into getting a new carb or a rebuild kit.

what i didn't replace on the fuel pump, under the fuel pump between it and the crank case the plastic piece with a gasket on top and bottom of it. that is all original. could those gaskets be my problem? i was hoping to get new ones with the rebuild kit but did not.
Ticky588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1985 ezgo marathon not getting fuel

A good solid spurt of fuel should shoot out of there. A dribble will not do.

If you replaced both diaphragms in the pump correctly, and have the hoses lined up with the arrows on the pump body, that leaves you with bad crankshaft seals.

Replacing them entails removing the engine, pulling the clutch, and flywheel.

The black plastic spacer under the pump also needs a good airtight seal.
There should be a rubber "O" ring between the bottom of the pump, and the black spacer.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Ticky588
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

cart around, thanks for your reply.
i am getting better fuel flow now since replacing the diaphragms.

below my pump there is a gasket on both sides of the plastic block. i'm worried these could be a weak spot. this would allow the o-ring to not seal to the block properly. With the o-ring there i'm suprised these gaskets are even needed....

The previous owner of this cart claims he had the engine rebuilt and bored 4 years ago. So i doubt crankshaft seals are bad. I dont know who did the work though, or if they knew what they were doing...

I think my next step may be the carb. I have blown air through it, thats about it.
what are the needle settings?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Ticky588
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I found new carbs on ebay as cheap as $49. I think it's coming out of china though. thoughts?

Rebuild kits were going for $51.

golf car websites selling new carbs for $81 on sale stating an original price of $153.

anyone bought the chineese crap and tried them? for all i know the more expensive one could also be chinese...

Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Ticky588
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the cart running last night!

I pulled the carb, dissambled, cleaned everything (used almost an entire can of cleaner) reassembled and it started right up.

She back fired a few times. i need to figure out the proper settings still on the carb.

I also need to replace 1 or 2 of the cables and buy a new battery for it.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Carburetor adjustment starts on page J6.

As you know, the carburetor is spring loaded open. The cable and pedal are what pull it closed. When you press on the pedal, the cable slides through the lever allowing the throttle spring to open the carburetor.

In order to prevent backfiring, a spring out of an ink pen is slid over the end of the cable, pushed down against the throttle lever, and then held in place with the locking ferrule. It holds the plate closed just long enough for the microswitch to make contact, and allow the ignition to work.

I will attach a picture of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO