lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EMP Motor squeal/squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy48 View Post
Okay since my last post I got the new motor from Chuck and sent back the old one. Been on vacation and just had a chance to install the new motor today. Well guess what...same thing. I get a squealing noise when entering my garage. Accept this time it will do the same thing in the torque mode. I had my wife drive it while I watch the axle hubs and jsut as I expected, they are fine, no stripped out axle hubs. The noise is coming from the motor area.

So, is there anything in the rear differential that can slip and make a squealing noise?? No grinding clicking or popping, just a squealing noise from something slipping. Anyhelp is appreciated.

Also, I would like to see an exploded view of the rear diff if anyone has one.
Have your wife bump up against and try to climb that garage curbing while you are watching the hubs.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did that first to make sure that wasn't it. No spinning on either side.
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Place a 2x4 on the ground in front of the edge of the slab to help you get over the bump. By pulling up to the edge of the slab squarely you are essentially chalking both wheels and asking it to start out lifting the 800 plus pound cart over the chocks. Maybe it is just too much to ask? Drive up on it from a little angle or get a rolling start? I dunno, Seems to me the cart runs good but you are obsessing with this one bump in front of the garage too much
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You are probably right ScottyB. It just intrigues me. When I am at work and I have something like this with a piece of equipment I have to figure it out (thats my job). It probably isn't a problem, but it is just difficult to let it go. I really do believe that the motor shaft is spinning inside the female spline.

Here is a link to the video of it:

Look at this and see what you think it is.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Are you sure this isn't motor whine? It's an electronic noise not a mechanical noise. It can happen especially on low speed, light throttle. (no speakers, didn't watch the vid)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy48 View Post
You are probably right ScottyB. It just intrigues me. When I am at work and I have something like this with a piece of equipment I have to figure it out (thats my job). It probably isn't a problem, but it is just difficult to let it go. I really do believe that the motor shaft is spinning inside the female spline.

Here is a link to the video of it:

YouTube- DSC_0110.AVI

Look at this and see what you think it is.
Send that link to the guys at the place you got the motor. It could be some sort of signal built into the motor as a warning that it needs to be switched to power mode.
You are right that it should make it over that hump, at least with a rolling start.
Garage door opener warning that some obstruction is preventing the door from closing.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Roady it may be an electrical whine of some sort with the brushes. It definitely isn't the whine of the motor. I'll bet $100 to a doughnut that it is the coupling slipping. There isn't anything else in the drive train that can slip and make this noise in my experience (my experience is limited ). It is really evident to me that it is in the motor somewhere when you listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Are you sure this isn't motor whine? It's an electronic noise not a mechanical noise. It can happen especially on low speed, light throttle. (no speakers, didn't watch the vid)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I fired up my laptop to listen to the vid...that NOT electrical for sure. Have you checked your input shaft? Does this only happen when entering yout garage or under any load?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It will happen when starting on a slight incline when in speed mode but I can stop and start fine on flat ground. I will test again this afternoon on flat ground to see if I can hear it.

I have inspected the input shaft between motor changes. It appears to be in good shape. I can look at it again though. What should I look for? I looked at the splines to make sure there were in good shape and they appeared to be. Is there anything there with it that can slip?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The input shaft could be stripped. It may have "some" spline left bt when you added more power things start happening. If the motor acts anything like mine did in speed mode it put out a lot more power. So much I just locked it in speed mode, had no use for torque mode. If the splines are stripped on the diff it fairly easy to replace....one snap ring I believe and the shaft comes right out. Of its the motor coupler thats a different story. Thats the only thing I can see doing something like that. Its not that uncommon either. It happened to me once and sounded like that. It would halfway move until we got it under a good load.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO