lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #21
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Reducer 36v to 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The short comes from the series cables themselves.
I guess that would be the two of the five not making up the three 12v packs?
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #22
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You can not get 3x12v banks to supply 12v and 36v at the same time, it is impossible without adding switches to remove the jumpers to switch from 12v to 36v.

Here is a drawing of my boat battery bank for reference, look closely at House Bank #2, that is a series parallel configuration that supplies 12v and there is no way it can supply 36v.

Don't be confused with the other parallel batteries in House #1 or the Start bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boat Batteries.jpg (54.3 KB, 27 views)
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I now understand what is my project road block.

It takes 5 series jumpers to make up the 36v pack but only 3 series jumpers to make up the six battery 12v pack.

When connecting the three 12v backs together if the two unneeded jumpers are still in place needed to make it a 36v pack then a direct short occurs as I now understand it.

I will have to see if a reasonable design can be worked out that gives us the 12v/315 amp and 36v/105 amps options from the golf cart battery bank.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #24
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Double post. I have got to get this computer checked out.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IN a NUT shell, this is what Doug has been trying to tell us is IMPOSSIBLE...
it can't be done at the same time.

"I will have to see if a reasonable design can be worked out that gives us the 12v/315 amp and 36v/105 amps options from the golf cart battery bank"
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just get a small generator and be done with it. Honda makes a nice little unit.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Voltage Reducer 36v to 12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Just get a small generator and be done with it. Honda makes a nice little unit.
That is a $1000 purchase still on hold.

Designing a low cost solution that permits using the cart batteries to get 12v/315 amps for the inverter is a shop class project to help the kids learn about DC.

We found some blade switches at Advanced Auto that gave us some ideas on coming up with a solution.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

gale, so you must be a teacher. should have known with all the research do have been doing. good for you. most of my family was /is in the teaching bus. we need all the good teachs we can get.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #29
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
That is a $1000 purchase still on hold.

Designing a low cost solution that permits using the cart batteries to get 12v/315 amps for the inverter is a shop class project to help the kids learn about DC.

We found some blade switches at Advanced Auto that gave us some ideas on coming up with a solution.
I'd deep six the switches so that you don't have any accidents, especially with kids involved and the possibility of liabilities if it's not fail safe and something should happen.

A 120v pole saw uses about 8 amps which would be 80 amps in a 12v inverter.

A separate pair of 6v golf cart batteries in the bag well and attached to your 2000w inverter would give you about 110 minutes of operation before the batteries were depleted. They could be recharged with a 12v automotive charger.

Having a stand alone electrical system for this project is both easier to understand for students and will guarantee you have enough power in the cart batteries to get you home.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #30
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
gale, so you must be a teacher. should have known with all the research do have been doing. good for you. most of my family was /is in the teaching bus. we need all the good teachs we can get.
madoc1 this is really just for our two 13 year olds. Due to the kids being on the bus for 30 hours a month with K-12 kids if they when to public school the wife started home schooling and I teach/guide most of the shop class projects.

The kids asked for a motorhome in 2007 and in July of that year we bought an old 1993 32' Class A unit to teach home and auto repair and do extended field trips. Dad had to do some digging because I found out old motorhomes are very demanding. Last summer the main subject was absorption refrigeration when the cooling unit went to smelling to high heaven.

We got the cart for several reasons with one being to take behind the MH to some parks but the main thing is to gain some driving experience on little roads to nowhere around our home. With my son I am glad for the 13 MPH max speed.

They wanted an ATV but that was a headache I did not want or need. The inverter project causes me to keep some of my brain cells working which is a good thing since I turn 60 in two weeks.

As a side note home schooling is the hardest task I have tackled and we both have terminal degrees. I feel for the public school teachers I know. Many can not wait to retire due to the enviroment and we have great school systems in our area. Thank your family for what they have done and are doing to help kids turn into functioning adults by teaching them how to learn their entire life.

Doug: I agree with your points. Part of my task is teaching that the impossible is possible but it just takes longer. In hiring we have learned those who can solve complex problems and will stick with doing the impossible until it is made possible add the most to the value of the company.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO