lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rivets, rivets and more rivets! Sheesh!

All across the industry we drill them out .... sometimes they spin but if you angle the drill for a moment then straighten back up the head comes right off the rivet. Sharp drills help, ... once you get used to it its a snap and easier than rusty bolts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The EZs I have dealt with have the aluminum rivets for all but the bottom of the body on the sides. Those 4 are a beotch. I just take two claw hammers, put the claw from one against rivet and rap the head with the other one. Then for reassembly I just use the same one for the dash with a washer. Just different options. I am sure you will figure out what is easiest for you. Good luck
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
ETpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is the tool from Harbor Freight. I was hoping that they had one in the store to examin but they did not have one. This may work for your needs or maybe not. It is a handy tool good for many projects. It works for me. At $15.00 it is worth it to try one out. Better quality rivnuts will be found at the tool retailers.

Tool

Good luck with your project.
ETpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #24
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
Here is the tool from Harbor Freight. I was hoping that they had one in the store to examin but they did not have one. This may work for your needs or maybe not. It is a handy tool good for many projects. It works for me. At $15.00 it is worth it to try one out. Better quality rivnuts will be found at the tool retailers.

Tool

Good luck with your project.
Thanks, I guess I'd have to order it from the website as they don't carry them in my local store either......

I checked local to see the cost (not that cost is a major concern) of a rivet kit.....

$9.95....not bad at all but still there are certain rivets that I'd rather have SS screws used for convience, particulary the lower body rivets that are Stainless and hard to drill....The top of the front cowling I'm going to use the plastic push rivets.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The EZs I have dealt with have the aluminum rivets for all but the bottom of the body on the sides. Those 4 are a beotch. I just take two claw hammers, put the claw from one against rivet and rap the head with the other one. Then for reassembly I just use the same one for the dash with a washer. Just different options. I am sure you will figure out what is easiest for you. Good luck
NEVER strike 2 hammer faces together !

When I was young I did this and the one face shattered a chip that flew off and stuck in the bone of a knuckle on the hand holding the handle. Had that flown into an eye I would have lost it.... instead of getting a pliers and retrieving it.....ouch
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

what scotty said. don't EVER hit the faces of hammers together. the faces are case hardened and will explode. 7th grade shop class.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
EC-Cartman
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This has been such a riveting thread.
EC-Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #28
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC-Cartman View Post
This has been such a riveting thread.
Good one
Superman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Point taken. I guess hitting the two together does have the potential for a face to crack but I am only hitting it hard enough to get the claw under the edge of the head of the rivet. So more like tapping, not a full swing. Guess I'll go buy a air chisel. Oh dang..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #30
jolsem725
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I used these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
I just bought my first cart ('08 PDS) yesterday and have already pulled the body for painting (it's currently that crappy Hunter Green color, oh, oh..and my apologies to all that have a cart of this color and like it, LOL.....to each his own I say....

Anyway, there's a series of rivets around the dash that I've removed but really don't want to replace in the same way. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or has done something other than pop-rivet it back in place?

I think the automotive u-clip type threaded fasteners might work on the front cowl lip but haven't tried it yet. Anyone use these things in this application?

I want access behind the dash area in the future......
jolsem725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO