lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
lozoya
Not Yet Wild

Post 1992 ez go electric motor replacement

hello, this is my first post. i have a 1992 ez go marathon 36v , i currently have the original stock motor and would like to replace it with a ez go txt model motor, i would like to know if they are interchangeable with each other and if i would need to change anything else, i live in a semi hilly area and my old motor and controller wont get up the hills anymore, i am currently looking for a new controller and would appreciate some suggestions as to what type of controller and how many amps, im thinking of an alltrax controller pushing about 400 amps , thank you very much for your time, i sincerely appreciate it.
lozoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 ez go electric motor replacement

Yes you can go with a 400 amp but your old series cart would actually do better with a 500a non programmable unit for less. The controller and solenoid need to be paired properly and the controller must speak the same language as your throttle input device....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can speak to the motor swap part of this having just done it. I took the motor out of my 2000 TXT series cart and put it in my 1991 Marathon. Bolts right in without modification using common tools. I did it by myself but a helper might be nice as the motors weigh about 40 lbs. Couple of caveats. In my case the motor in my TXT ( a shuttle model) was more powerful than the one in the marathon but I don’t believe this is always true. Remember series and sepex systems are not interchangeable. There are some good threads here about motor swaps including pictures. I’ll post a link if you can’t find one.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
lozoya
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the help, and i tried to swap out the motor but it wont go forward or reverse i know for a fact that the motor works and that all of my wires are connected right. my controller is the stock curtis 275 amp and i was wondering if i will need to upgrade my controller because that motor came out of a txt 2000 model.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TXT is just a body style. Solid state electronics ( series style) are basically the same whether in a Marathon or TXT. If the cart ran before motor swap and the motor is good and you wired it correctly then it should run now. Did you reconnect the battery pack? turn the key on? Does the reverse buzzer work?
Not trying to be a smart a-- We all make those mistakes. I believe 2000 TXT's could be either series or PDS (sepex). If you got the motor out of a PDS cart it wont work in a Marathon.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
lozoya
Not Yet Wild

i connected everything turned the key and the buzzer went on but i dont really understand the difference between sapex and series motors ( sorry to sound like a noob). is there an appearance difference between sapex and series motors? i have pictures here and the one that reads textron is the marathon motor that i took out of the one below and the other one is from the txt golf cart . thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(8).jpg (80.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo(7).jpg (34.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg photo(9).jpg (41.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Unless I'm missing something, I think you put a sepex motor in a series cart? I'm sure someone will be on soon to correct me or confirm.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One of the most obvious differences is the terminal bolt sizes. On the sepex motor there are 2 big and 2 small studs/nuts ... on the series motor they are all big ones.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
lozoya
Not Yet Wild

ok thank you guys, also since this motor wont work what type of motor do you recommend? i need something with some torque to get up hills without a noticable change in speed , also i want something a little sporty that will get my cart moving at around 18-20 mph if there are any kits that include the controller i would appreciate it if you let me know, thanks again i really appreciate the help.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: 1992 ez go electric motor replacement

If you hooked that motor up to the cart you may have toasted your controller also. I would put the old motor back in the cart and check it! Just to be sure.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO