lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool Speedy Seniors?

Ok, by now you know that I am a newbie on here and have asked a few questions regarding tweaking a bit of speed from my 1997 Club Car DS. I received this old thing FREE as part of a home purchase in Florida. The rear tires are bald and there are a few chips and scrapes on the body. I noticed that everywhere we take the cart, some old senior runs up behind us or passes us, even though I am flooring it. Well, yesterday I took the cart out with my wife in it, holding our GPS to check the speed. I figured that I would get a "before" reading on it prior to changing the controller to a 400 amp and the wiring to 4gauge. I also have a pair of 22" rear tires and offset wheels, but will use rear shackles to raise it enough to clear the rubber. But, I digress. Using the GPS, we found that this thing travels on a flat surface at an average of 19mph. Since the local seniors seem to run me over, I had assumed I was moving at about 6-8mph. If I am traveling at 19mph, then that means they are really hauling it.

Today, I will be installing an analogue battery meter. If I have time, I will install a Curtis 400amp controller. I am waiting for my new wire set and will replace the existing 6 gauge battery wires. It appears that someone has done something to speed this thing up, because I am not sure that the stock DS would move at this speed. I believe someone told me that the motor had been replaced. It now has a D377.

I haven't changed the wheels yet, because my lift and stands are back in NC. We just recently moved here and I hardly have any tools to work with. I will have to borrow some jack stands from someone.

I can't allow these seniors to run me over. It just ain't right.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speedy Seniors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Ok, by now you know that I am a newbie on here and have asked a few questions regarding tweaking a bit of speed from my 1997 Club Car DS. I received this old thing FREE as part of a home purchase in Florida. The rear tires are bald and there are a few chips and scrapes on the body. I noticed that everywhere we take the cart, some old senior runs up behind us or passes us, even though I am flooring it. Well, yesterday I took the cart out with my wife in it, holding our GPS to check the speed. I figured that I would get a "before" reading on it prior to changing the controller to a 400 amp and the wiring to 4gauge. I also have a pair of 22" rear tires and offset wheels, but will use rear shackles to raise it enough to clear the rubber. But, I digress. Using the GPS, we found that this thing travels on a flat surface at an average of 19mph. Since the local seniors seem to run me over, I had assumed I was moving at about 6-8mph. If I am traveling at 19mph, then that means they are really hauling it.

Today, I will be installing an analogue battery meter. If I have time, I will install a Curtis 400amp controller. I am waiting for my new wire set and will replace the existing 6 gauge battery wires. It appears that someone has done something to speed this thing up, because I am not sure that the stock DS would move at this speed. I believe someone told me that the motor had been replaced. It now has a D377.

I haven't changed the wheels yet, because my lift and stands are back in NC. We just recently moved here and I hardly have any tools to work with. I will have to borrow some jack stands from someone.

I can't allow these seniors to run me over. It just ain't right.

That sounds about right for the D377 on 48v. The 400a control & 4g should help on the hills, less slowing and possible a little harder acceleration. However the increase in tire size may negate most of the torque gains from the upgrade (depending upon load and terrain), but it still is needed as otherwise you would be in the loss column.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I noticed that the cart runs real slow on inclines, and am hoping that I can pick up a bit on the hills with the added amperage. I thought that I might pick up a mph or so on the flats, with the increased tire size. They're cheap tires, and I may end up replacing them with 20" if they are too much hassle. I am still learning this electric cart stuff, so there is probably a lot of stuff that will need replacing when time, money and knowledge is available. Since this will be primarily for my wife, I will have to eventually pretty it up a bit too. Lots of good stuff on here. I am amazed at how patient some of the more experienced folks on here, are.

My goal is to increase the speed to about 21-22mph. I don't believe that is asking too much of this old girl. I'll replace the Trojan batteries in the summer, as they are a bit aged and probably not very well cared for in the past. They still hold the charge, but who knows how much strength they really have. Once I get the battery meter on it, I will get a better idea of how far we can go on them. Ideally, I need close to ten miles to a charge. I don't know if that is unreasonable.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Even with the high rpm motor and tall tires with good batteries you should still get 60 minutes of actual run time x 20mph will easily reach your needs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

MDLNB, it sounds to me like you are talking about "The Villages". Is that where you are? My folks live there, and even though there is supposed to be a 20mph speed limit for carts, many of those old farts have turbos and a complete lack of patience. If/when I live there in the future, I want one that will blow some doors off just so I can surprise them when they try to pass me when I'm running at the limit.

Anyway, if that's where you are, there are quite a few "indies" that live down there that will help you with your cart for a few bucks. The Villages has their own forums site and those people can probably be found on there.

I like to go for rides on my parent's cart when I'm down visiting. It has a speedo and runs top speed just under 21mph unless going down hill. But I still have old farts blowing right by me on their way to the next golf course.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yep, that's where I currently reside. I am the youngest in neighborhood, but limp along in my old 1997 CC DS. Getting my proverbial doors blown off by these old folks, is embarrassing. Guess the next thing to do is to swap out the motor for a faster one. Have to get consent from the treasurer first. I would like to get an average 21-22mph. Then I will start some cosmetic changes. Even the 19mph on level asphalt is not too bad, except it slows to a crawl when I get off level ground. I thought maybe it was the batteries, but seem to get some distance on a charge. They do have some nice machines down here. Some of them are putting as much into them as they do on a new car.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Congrats MDLNB. I'll be 48 next month and have a son about to turn 15. So I'm on a 4 year plan to try and get to the Villages (since you can't have a kid younger than 19). With my job, I can work from anywhere and live anywhere I'd like. So, I suspect I'll be one of the youngest in my hood as well.

19mph is not bad for a stock cart, at all. I don't think mine will get there and I'm lifted. The Yamaha dealer down there has it made. When my folks moved there a couple years ago, they went and bought a new gasser and I think paid pretty close to 5 figures for it. Crazy, in my opinion, knowing what one can do on a budget if you do the work yourself.

Of course, you can't do much lifting to yours and still get through those tunnels down there. But what I was saying in my previous post, is you can go through the local forum site and probably find some retiree that works on carts on the side and get some help speeding up your cart without paying dealer labor rates. When my parents bought their house, it came with a worn out Par-Car sparky. They found a local guy to come work on it but decided just to scrap it, in the end, and go for the shiny new Yammy Gasser. I'd have kept the spark as a backup - but that's just me.

By the way, we are also all from NC.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

You are not kidding about the cost of a new cart here. My brother just bought a new Yamaha gasser. I have seen some of them going for about as much as a new car.

One guy told me that he put lawn mower tires on his and was banned from the golf course. Go figure. He pointed to their mower that was in the process of mowing the golf course, telling them that he had the same tires. They refused him. They would rather he drive around on the course with street tires. Of course, I am taking his word for the incident. I have some 22" ATV tires that I am getting ready to mount on the back of the old cart. I picked up some shackles from Advance Auto to raise it a bit to clear the larger tires. And I mounted the tires on a pair of off-set wheels. I noticed that a couple of times when I hit the brakes, the vehicle slid. I have to pull the hubs off and check the shoes before anything else.

The weather has been so good down here that I just don't have the motivation to return to NC to move some more of my tools down. Since I do not intend to sell my home up there, I am in no hurry to move stuff right now.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Golfnut
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I live in The Villages and have two carts one gas and one electric. I put a high speed rear end in both carts. The electric runs 23 mph and the gas 28. I have speedometer on both and stay in the speed limit but its nice to have the extra for hills and passing.
Golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnut View Post
I live in The Villages and have two carts one gas and one electric. I put a high speed rear end in both carts. The electric runs 23 mph and the gas 28. I have speedometer on both and stay in the speed limit but its nice to have the extra for hills and passing.
I put some knobbies on the rear of my CC DS and it seems to have given me a bit more speed. They are 22x11x8 ATV tires, but they are really, really loud and now my wife wants me to put something different on it. I think they look cool, but she says everyone turns to star at it when it comes down the street because it sounds like a truck. And it's electric. I haven't checked the speed by GPS, since I put the larger tires on it, but it seems to be going a couple miles per hour faster on flat pavement. I used offset steel wheels and jacked it up with shackles but couldn't get it to the last adjustment hole. Someone else suggested that it might be due to the shocks. The right tire tends to hit the fender liner on the right when I have my wife in the car with me and we go around a turn at a fairly moderate speed. It will either have to go up some more, or I might go to a 21" tire. She doesn't like the tire noise anyway, so it will probably be the latter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car