lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

Default Which switch to make it idle ?

On my 81' G-1 I would like to eliminate the switch that kills the engine when you let off the gas pedal. I would like to have it idle and use the key to shut it off. I see one switch that is at the bottom of the gas pedal and "opens up" when the pedal is extended which I think might be the starter switch. But I can't see another switch that would kill the engine when you take you foot off the gas pedal.
Anyone know where this switch is located so I can have a normal running car ?
Thanks,
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Which switch to make it idle ?

It's the same switch. Press the pedal it starts release the pedal it stops running.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

So how can I make it still start by pushing on the pedal but not kill it when letting off the gas ? The problem I have is that I hooked up some headlights through the dash switch last night and the only wire that is only hot when it is running also runs through this switch .So, when you let off the gas,the headlights go out :-)
And with kids running this cart, the lights have to be wired through the switch of you know what will happen and I will have a dead battery.
Thanks,
Raz
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Project G2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The simple fix would be (option A) run your light circuit directly to the battery. Fuse it of course. You could wire your stop start switch through a latching relay. But option A would be much easier.

Good Luck,
JW
Project G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

I know running it trough the battery would be the easiest but you can bet your a$$ the kids will leave the lights on and drain the battery.
Raz
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Niner
Getting Wild

Yamaha

You could run them with a relay that picks up its power from the red wire on the Main Switch. That way the lights won't come on unless the key is turned on and the light switch is on.

I plan to run a similar setup for a backup light on my G9, but with the relay being powered from the Back Switch
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Why do you want it to idle while stopped? The engine would probably have a very good chance to overheat quickly! Also at idle the starter may still be running if it is set up like the HD cart. The machine was designed to run like it is for a reason. Think about it before you make damaging modifications.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

To make the cart idle unplug the black with white stripe wire on the passanger side rear fender then just adjust idle screw. The starter is not engaged until you step on the pedal to engage the solenoid. This however will not cure your problem with the lights as they will only be on when the solenoid is engaged. You would be best to connect light wires to battery. Also allowing the motor to idle this way will not harm anything, this is how yamaha recommended to do it. Cart will start with pedal but you will have to turn key to off to shut it off.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I would like to do this with my g16. Is it possible to make it idle and not harm it. If so what do I do. I heard that if you take off the petal inspection cover( where ever that is ) and look behind the petal there is a micro switch. And by simply turning it over it will idle. I dont know if this is true?
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Listen to BIG BLOCK MAN he the master of carts
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha