lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #1
WILL1E
Not Yet Wild

Default Can I get more speed out of this Marathon?

There's got to be a post or a ton of them about this already, but i'm not finding anything so i must be searching the wrong terms.

I just bought a '93 EZGO last night and it runs great. However, top end feels a bit slow to me. So can something be adjusted, removed, bypassed to get a few more MPH out of it without damaging anything? I'm happy to read threads or whatever, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
WILL1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I get more speed out of this Marathon?

Two stroke, or four stroke engine? It will make a difference.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
WILL1E
Not Yet Wild

4 Stroke is what i was told.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
WILL1E
Not Yet Wild

Here is a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4609.jpg (210.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is a Robbin 2 cyl 4-stroke engine...I suspect it is a 295cc unless someone swapped in a 350 from a workhorse. 9 hp. It has a governor on the top of the transaxle that pulls back on the throttle when the ground speed gets too fast. Factory, they are generally set around 15 mph. Download a speedometer app for your smart phone and run the cart with it on, see what your flat and down hill top speeds are. Top speed on them is around 20, but you will be hitting the rev limiter and reduce the life of the engine. It is an ignition cut out system that drops spark when the engine turns too fast. That being said, you have been warned that the engine won't last long doing it, but you can crank down the spring on the governor. Right on top of the transaxle, there is a cable with a spring and a nut on the end of the cable. As you turn the nut down the cable, it reduces how much the governor can reduce the throttle pull, and you go faster.

The other options are high speed gears and larger tires. For about $300 and you swap out two gears in the transaxle. Or, you can install larger tires. Both effectively raise the gear ratio so you go faster with the same engine RPM. You loose low end torque, but get to around 20 MPH without high RPM.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
WILL1E
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info.

I think the biggest thing i hate is when you step on it to go she revs up nice like she's gonna take off and then you can feel the limiter kick in and cap the max speed.

I eventually plan to do a lift and tires once i understand better what i'm looking at and the pros/cons....and have some cash to throw at it.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
WILL1E
Not Yet Wild

So, we got an app for speed and 12mph is what we were at to start with about 5/8" of thread left. We adjusted the 2 nuts so there is still about 1/8" of thread exposed past the nut and we are only hitting 13 maybe 14 with a tail wind.

So since we aren't even near the 15mph "baseline" and almost maxed out for adjustment, what does that imply?
Old 05-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Larger diameter tires ..
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO