lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Roypow Lithium Review

This has been a long awaited thread.... I recently purchased a Roypow Lithium 51V56AH battery pack. I spent $1411 total to have it shipped to my door (2 day shipping too!). That included the battery and mounting brackets (which haven't arrived yet, but I made a temporary install mount).

Here is the short story of this thread: If you are not desirous of doing a leaf kit build, this kit is ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE MONEY. However, I am a man of science and I am going to give specifics on why, including graphs and real data collected from my cart. These will be included in a google drive link, as I cant figure out how to add word or excel files on here.

To start off, I'll say the buying/shipping was a breeze. If you're on the east coast, call Mike at Lanier Carts and Outdoors in Oakwood, Georgia (470-252-5622), and tell him the Kentucky guy sent you. Packaging was strong and sturdy but easy to open.

The only downside thus far was the install. I have 1999 EZGO TXT series. The battery tray for this has two tabs designed to hold the battery hold downs. This made it impossible to lower the Roypow in. So I cut them off. I guess if I ever sell this thing and put in FLA batteries, I'll re-weld them on. However, thats a MINOR inconvenience for what I got out of this pack.

After hooking everything up and securing it to the cart, I began my testing (I did my FLA tests prior to this, obviously). My first impression was "WOW THIS THING IS TORQUEY". In fact, it was so torquey that it caused my cart to do a 1-2 inch wheelie. Which is even more impressive when you consider my cart has a chopper stance to it (pics will show that soon).

It pretty much performs exactly as I imagine a leaf kit would. My only concern (at first) with this pack was the amperage it could put out before the BMS shuts it down. From what I can tell, that limit it pretty high, as I put this cart through HELL. The graphs I attach will explain further. I have a REALLY steep hill (its gotta be close to a 45 degree incline) near me that I used to draw as much amps as possible. It climbed it with ease and only slowed down to like 2/3 top speed. It was amazing. Top speed also went up 3-4 mph. Im gonna credit that to the weight difference.

While I could type forever about the goodness of this pack, Im gonna just leave some graphs and tables attached, and let you guys ask some questions! Information on cart is provided on the table attached. Thanks so much!

*Also, for the file names, "FG" means "FLAT GROUND" and "CH" means "CEMETERY HILL"*

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QK...CQinduapNSjvqF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200217-175430_Video Player.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Roypow Lithium Review

Thank YOU!!!!! I've been waiting for this post after following the conversations from the other posts about these Rowpow paks. I am 95% convinced (sold), and I think soon to be 100% Thanks for taking the time and effort to educate us simpletons out here who need plug and plays.

Now let's see the comments from the experts......
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Thanks for the write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

So, How many miles can you go with that pack?
Old 02-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgolfer View Post
So, How many miles can you go with that pack?
That Im not sure on. The police in my area are not big on me having this on the streets (even though its ENTIRELY street legal by other states standards), as KY has no law allowing the use of carts. However, I did Identical testing for my FLA and roypow pack (so same number of runs, etc.) and the FLA pack dropped 56% while the lithium only dropped 10%. Id say 25 miles would be attainable at moderate speeds. I also have the smallest pack you can get too.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
brightred2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for this post! I also live in KY, ordered the 112ah pack scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I am curious about the charger, id like to wire to the 3g cable from my factory charger.

Last edited by brightred2020; 02-19-2020 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: I don't proof anything
brightred2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
davidgolfer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
That Im not sure on. The police in my area are not big on me having this on the streets (even though its ENTIRELY street legal by other states standards), as KY has no law allowing the use of carts. However, I did Identical testing for my FLA and roypow pack (so same number of runs, etc.) and the FLA pack dropped 56% while the lithium only dropped 10%. Id say 25 miles would be attainable at moderate speeds. I also have the smallest pack you can get too.

Yeah, don’t really allow carts on streets here either. I live in a neighborhood with a golf course and no real thru traffic. So, the police don’t really enforce it here, at least for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, I should note that I will be adding new data and tests and what not to that google drive doc as I collect and create them. Im not sure how much more Im gonna do (probably do a test for dually vs regular wheels). But I'll keep this thread updated regardless!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
This has been a long awaited thread.... I recently purchased a Roypow Lithium 51V56AH battery pack. I spent $1411 total to have it shipped to my door (2 day shipping too!). That included the battery and mounting brackets (which haven't arrived yet, but I made a temporary install mount).

Here is the short story of this thread: If you are not desirous of doing a leaf kit build, this kit is ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE MONEY. However, I am a man of science and I am going to give specifics on why, including graphs and real data collected from my cart. These will be included in a google drive link, as I cant figure out how to add word or excel files on here.

To start off, I'll say the buying/shipping was a breeze. If you're on the east coast, call Mike at Lanier Carts and Outdoors in Oakwood, Georgia (470-252-5622), and tell him the Kentucky guy sent you. Packaging was strong and sturdy but easy to open.

The only downside thus far was the install. I have 1999 EZGO TXT series. The battery tray for this has two tabs designed to hold the battery hold downs. This made it impossible to lower the Roypow in. So I cut them off. I guess if I ever sell this thing and put in FLA batteries, I'll re-weld them on. However, thats a MINOR inconvenience for what I got out of this pack.

After hooking everything up and securing it to the cart, I began my testing (I did my FLA tests prior to this, obviously). My first impression was "WOW THIS THING IS TORQUEY". In fact, it was so torquey that it caused my cart to do a 1-2 inch wheelie. Which is even more impressive when you consider my cart has a chopper stance to it (pics will show that soon).

It pretty much performs exactly as I imagine a leaf kit would. My only concern (at first) with this pack was the amperage it could put out before the BMS shuts it down. From what I can tell, that limit it pretty high, as I put this cart through HELL. The graphs I attach will explain further. I have a REALLY steep hill (its gotta be close to a 45 degree incline) near me that I used to draw as much amps as possible. It climbed it with ease and only slowed down to like 2/3 top speed. It was amazing. Top speed also went up 3-4 mph. Im gonna credit that to the weight difference.

While I could type forever about the goodness of this pack, Im gonna just leave some graphs and tables attached, and let you guys ask some questions! Information on cart is provided on the table attached. Thanks so much!

*Also, for the file names, "FG" means "FLAT GROUND" and "CH" means "CEMETERY HILL"*

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QK...CQinduapNSjvqF
Glad you've got it installed and you're happy with it.

Looking at your spreadsheets, it looks like on flat ground you're seeing some pretty significant voltage sag during what I presume to be the beginning of a full acceleration run. You are of course pulling almost 600amps from the battery, but I can't imagine that is doing the pack any good. While the BMS is allowing it (since it's very short term) I think I'd consider limiting the current in the controller setup.

I realize you're testing things out at this point, but IIRC the 56ah pack has less allowable max current delivery spec'd than the 105 (and the 160 possibly - not sure on this).

I have no idea what pulling that kind of amperage will do long term (or if just doing it occasionally will have much impact - I think it could very possibly be detrimental though). It seems to me that seeing a drop of 10v +, or 20% with a (presumably) fully charged lithium pack - even short term - may indicate the pack is being pushed beyond intended parameters? I don't know what the ambient temperature was (M temp on your spreadsheet indicates around 78f, but don't know if "M" is motor or ambient), but I'd for sure be careful pulling that kind of current in cooler temps. This based on the cell specs themselves.

Total guessing on my part, but I'd be careful. I'm glad it's delivering that kind of power with apparently no complaints - that's a seriously strong performance!

Thanks for posting all the detailed information and spreadsheet data.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

From what I just read on the above link the 150AH kit has peak current at 400amp and constant current max at 200amp. The 100AH are listed as half of that....200amp peak and 100amp constant max.

FWIW the most amps my EZ-GO has ever drawn is 400 (well.....39. I reset my Alltrax controller to 40% of max amps that can be drawn....and the hill that I "test" on....about a 35-degree climb, had no ill effect with the amp draw changed. BTW...the max the controller will allow to be drawn with the new setting is 260.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, lithium, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium