lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Finding Columbia Service bulletins

2007 columbia summit suv-l

In the parts manual on the front suspension, it lists a 4 leaf and 5 leaf spring for the front but there are 2 "see note"

For vehicle produced prior to 1/2015, a spring kit is available for vehicles that are having tire clearance problems. Order Kit 47116-15. Refer to Service Bulletin SB15-005 for additional information.

I have a tire clearance problem and want to read the service bulletin and look into the the kit. I have not found service bulletins online. I looked on a few sites that handle Columbia parts and the kit is not listed.
inairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: Finding Columbia Service bulletins

Service bulletins were mostly limited to the dealer network. As you may imagine if the general public sees a service bulletin a good number of folks automatically assume it is a warranty covered item. In reality a service bulletin was just a way to share what was being seen as potential issues for some vehicles and help techs shorten their time it takes to resolve issues.

With all that said, attached is the service bulletin. The extra spring was just a way to reinforce the front end if a vehicle had too much weight or larger tires than normal. Some believed it was the cure but sometimes the cause was just the standard four leaf springs were worn out. Now if I were to personally deal with even just worn, I would do the five leaf spring as an upgrade and cure at the same time.

Just be aware the ride might be a little stiffer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CPC_Bulletin_Service_SB15_005 SMT Front Spring.pdf (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks a lot!. The part number fo the 5 leaf spring is not called out on the parts manual and the part number in the service manual 782407 does not show up on evtechnicalservices.com/columbia-parts/ or other sites.

BTW - what is CPC p/N vs Seats P/n. 782407 looks like a seats p/n which I have never been able to find. I have only had success with CPC p/N
Old 05-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

This could get long, but worth the explanation.....

1. The 782407 isn't available as just the one part because it also requires a longer bolt which holds all the springs together. This means it just comes as the kit number 47116-15 or 192982u which includes the one extra spring, the longer bolt and nut, and the four mounting bolts with nuts to reattach to the chassis. (List 65.83)

2. The complete 5 leaf spring set pre-made which would then be including a new main 4 leaf spring to replace the old one which may be worn is also available as 468063. (List 221.63)

3. Here's the long part which includes a short history lesson:

Columbia, formerly going by ParCar, is part of the Nordic Group of Companies. Throughout the years Nordic proven its strength and has purchased other companies to include Legend, Nordskog, Harley Davidson (golf cart line only of course), Yerf Dog assets, and the most recent being Tomberlin. These have all since been rolled under the Columbia flagship name.

Nordic also owns other companies, more recognized perhaps as:
1. Flambeau Plastics (well known for their decoy lines, but also a manufacturer of medical supplies, tool cases, gun cases, etc...).
2. Seats Incorporated (obvious here what they make but they have been a huge supplier of seat to the defense department, rail industry, trucking industry, fire truck industry, lawn mower manufacturers, and yes Columbia golf carts).
3. Duncan Toys (yes, the Yo-Yo people).
4. Art-Bin (crafting cases and things);
5. Elite Enclosures (golf cart custom made enclosures).

In order to save on duplication of efforts, a lot of "behind the scenes" departments are shared between Seats and Columbia (which have their buildings about 2 miles apart) such as HR, Purchasing, some Engineering, etc...

Seats is a larger facility who has been making not just the seats for Columbia but also forming all the metal chassis components for Columbia. As a shared purchasing department, Seats has consistently been the main point of contact with many of the vendors used by Columbia.

So, history lesson almost over....here's the process of part number confusion:
1. Vendor has their own system part number and sell to Seats;
2. Seats assigns their own part number for their system and sells to Columbia;
3. Columbia then assigns their own system part number and sells to dealers/user;
4. And some dealers can then assign their own part numbers as well.

Through all of that a part could have had at least 3 different part numbers. The Older Columbia part numbers were handy as the last two digits would tell you when it was implemented. For example the spring kit here was 47116-15 meaning it was developed as a part in 2015.

But in all the different part numbers tracking for manuals and engineer drawings was getting to be a lot of extra work. Columbia has now opted to use Seats assigned number as it's part number offered to the dealer/user network, however they have added CVG to the front so it is identified as a Columbia Vehicle Group number. So your spring which would be 192982u is CVG192982u.

As a part dealer and servicer I have opted to make things easier by keeping the standard part number used at the plant and by listing all the cross reference numbers when I know them.

And that's it, the story of how the part numbers are handled. It can be confusing for those of working with all the different numbers over the years, but if anyone has further questions, they just need to ask. I've been at Columbia/Seats for over 11 years now doing Tech Support, Parts and Engineering work, and even picked up the snow shovel more than a few times.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I started to piece together that the spring was just one leaf that is added to the 4 leaf stand spring. Thank you. Found the kit. 47116-15
Old 05-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
inairam
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I installed a new 5 leaf front leaf spring today and also replaced the shocks. The top or smallest spring was broken. You could not see it until it was taken off.

A much better ride.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Good work! Nice find on the broken, wonder how many others are Out there in use and nobody knows.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
sparkey549
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by inairam View Post
I installed a new 5 leaf front leaf spring today and also replaced the shocks. The top or smallest spring was broken. You could not see it until it was taken off.

A much better ride.
I think I'm having the same issue you went through. When you ordered the single leaf upgrade and determined the top of the 4 leaf was broken, were you able to make a separate purchase for the broken top of the 4 leaf piece or did you need to purchase the whole 5 leaf together?

thx for any details you can provide.
sparkey549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar