lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
JBowler4
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 1993 ezgo marathon starter generator issues

I have a 93 ezgo marathon 2 stroke was running fine I rode up to my garage parked it for maybe 15 min got back in and it does nothing could it be possible the starter generator went out? I checked all my wiring, switches, etc. Everything is good its getting power to the starter when i press the pedal but the starter will not turn over. Anyone have any have any ideas i got this cart for for free had to rebuild the motor to get it going and i hate to keep putting money into it
JBowler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 ezgo marathon starter generator issues

spin the starter a quarter turn or so by hand and try again, likely it's just worn brushes (about $13 a set)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
JBowler4
Not Yet Wild

I did try to spin it manually and it still did nothing I did notice that earlier that day it seemed like it was weak or would barley turn then it fired up and ran good all day the battery is not dead so thats why im thinking its the starter
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

A quick test would be to try to start in reverse. In general when you switch off the engine the inertia will keep it spinning until it cannot overcome the next compression stroke. This means that the starter has to run under maximum load to get the engine to turn. By starting in reverse the engine has almost 360 degrees to turn before hitting compression. Of course that isn't a fix so I think I would slide off the drive belt and then remove the starter belt. Now spin the starter pulley by hand and see if it turns freely. If it does then depress and quickly release the throttle to see if the starter runs under no load. If you are sure that everything else is working then you probably do need to change the brushes which is a relatively easy job.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
JBowler4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will give that a try one evening are there any tricks I need to know about changing out the brushes?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

be ready for a mess, LOL theres always a lot of black oxidation, brush dust, etc - the procedure is relatively straightforward, first pull out the 4 rubber plugs that cover the brushes, then (and there are several ways to do it but I personally feel this is the best way, if not a bit more time-consuming) remove the 2 long 10mm bolts that hold the endcap on the starter. When You remove the endcap, the brushes may snap inward - this is OK.

at this point, change each brush by unscrewing the leads - a screwdriver comes in handy here to help remove the spring tension. Be careful when undoing the screws that hold the leads - you may have to use a needle nose or ? to hold the tabs themselves so they don't bend or break if the screws are stuck.

Now, take a few minutes to lightly clean up the armature, which is likely a mess - I generally use an air hose to blow out all the dust, etc that I can from the starter, then I use a fine grit (800) sandpaper to clean the armature up and get it nice and shiny again.

At this point, you will see that the brushes are protruding inward to the point that you can't slide everything back together - that's OK. Using a screwdriver, gently push them outwards until the coil springs slide onto the brush itself one at a time - the spring tension will hold them as you slide everything back together. Using a screwdriver again, apply pressure to the brushes one at a time until they pop back into place and are again holding the brushes to the armature. Replace the 2 long bolts holding everything together, reinstall rubber plugs (they snap in) replace the starter in the cart, and all should be good.

Sounds a bit complicated but once You open it up it really isn't - figure about 20min or so if You've never done it before. It's really hard to screw up, unless you break one of the mounting tabs for the brush lead screws (again though, a little patience and a needlenose pliers will ensure You don't twist off the tabs trying to break the screws loose).
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
JBowler4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info ill give it a try and let u know how it turns out
Old 09-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
redcloud
Gone Wild

Had this once with my 3pg. I would have a good 12 volts at the battery and the connectors and the starter but as soon as I would try to start it, it would act like no or very low power. Found that when I had a draw on the battery when trying to start it the poss connector area was not allowing a full 12 volts to pass through the wire to the starter. After a good cleaning and tightening it has worked ever since. Also check that your grounds are very good along with connection areas. Both grounds to frame and cart. May be your prob and worth a good look before digging into a starter/gen.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Generally, its been my experience that if the S/G is failing due to brush issues, its gradual and you kind of know its coming. I think the Redcloud is on the right track with checking all wire connections and clean/replace as necessary. Because many of the circuits in the cart are dependent on one another to work, if you get a little corrosion in one place, it can cause the system to fail rather quickly. just my 2c
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2stroke, marathon, starter gen, wiring, wont start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO