lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 48v with a 12v battery?

I know this is not an ideal solution but curious if it's possible. My plan would just be to charge the cart with my 36v charger and a normal 12v charger separately and obviously disconnected from each other during charging.

My txt series cart is very slow going up the hill and it doesn't seem to go any faster or slower with 18" stock tires, 20", or even 22" tires up the hill. It crawls about 2-3 mph the whole way and i can't figure it what's up. I can put 3 people in the cart with the same results but 4 people with any of the tires will make the cart stall out on the steepest part.

My primary purpose of this cart is climbing a short (150 yards) but steep hill. I have an alltrax SR48500 controller, heavy duty solenoid, heavy duty FR switch, Bandit motor, and 4 gauge wires. I don't know what else to do other than torque gears or a torque motor and both of those are pricey. I'm not sure either would even do anything since I saw no change going from the stock motor to the bandit motor and I'm not seeing a change with the change in tire sizes. Hoping maybe a voltage change will help.
jfw432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v to 48v with a 12v battery?

Yes it's 48 volts, but no where near balanced amps. Won't have the performance and run time you're hoping for. Would probably damage your existing batteries in the process.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
I know this is not an ideal solution but curious if it's possible. My plan would just be to charge the cart with my 36v charger and a normal 12v charger separately and obviously disconnected from each other during charging.

My txt series cart is very slow going up the hill and it doesn't seem to go any faster or slower with 18" stock tires, 20", or even 22" tires up the hill. It crawls about 2-3 mph the whole way and i can't figure it what's up. I can put 3 people in the cart with the same results but 4 people with any of the tires will make the cart stall out on the steepest part.

My primary purpose of this cart is climbing a short (150 yards) but steep hill. I have an alltrax SR48500 controller, heavy duty solenoid, heavy duty FR switch, Bandit motor, and 4 gauge wires. I don't know what else to do other than torque gears or a torque motor and both of those are pricey. I'm not sure either would even do anything since I saw no change going from the stock motor to the bandit motor and I'm not seeing a change with the change in tire sizes. Hoping maybe a voltage change will help.
Your existing batteries may need to be tested. Use a digital voltmeter to check the pack voltage while climbing that hill, then check individual batteries to see if one or more is dropping more than the others. Be sure to start out with a fully charged pack when you do the tests.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Your existing batteries may need to be tested. Use a digital voltmeter to check the pack voltage while climbing that hill, then check individual batteries to see if one or more is dropping more than the others. Be sure to start out with a fully charged pack when you do the tests.
The batteries have fallen off a bit over the past few years since I bought them but they are still within .1 of each other. The pack is around 37.5 and they do drop to around 31v on the hill. Even when they were brand new, I recorded the amp output on the hill and it was peaking at around 265 which I thought was pretty poor.

The batteries are Powertron p2000 which obviously aren't as good as Trojans but surely they aren't complete garbage...right?
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Yes it's 48 volts, but no where near balanced amps. Won't have the performance and run time you're hoping for. Would probably damage your existing batteries in the process.
What about a 42v setup then? Think that would that help?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post

I have a 93 Marathon, also a series cart, I am having the same issue and my car is all stock except for 20" tire. I have been wriggling around on this idea for months. Everyone has told me 500A controller and move to 48 volts. I'm due for new batteries anyway though.
420ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Anyone?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't know where everyone is so I'll give it a shot.

Your post leads me to believe the cart is used just to bring people up a steep 150yd hill. True? How often? once and hour?, occasionally? Is it used for anything else? Is range per charge important to you?

Steep is relative. How steep is steep? Need some context.

Your experience doesn't track with mine. Unless this hill is REALLY steep I think there is something wrong.

Also, as I understand it, this is inappropriate use for "Bandit" motor. Usually they are thought of as stock motor that has been cleaned up and "optimized", for lack of a better word, for speed.

I'll comment on the battery after your reply.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Your statement is pretty much true. I'd say it carries me up the hill once and then maybe carries a couple others up the hill 3-4 hours later. This happens maybe 2-4 times a week so range is irrelevant to me.

When I say steep, most of the hill is probably a 20 degree incline with a 10-20 foot section about 30 degrees where it will stall out with 4 people.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So this is a special case really. I would go ahead with your plan for the extra 12v battery. Get a golf cart battery but getting a premium one is probably not necessary for this scenario. See if 48v is sufficient for the work required and if so you could think about getting the 6x8v when the time comes for new batteries.
The Powertrons are generally good batteries I think. Not premium but they are fine for your use. Capacity is not your problem. You need voltage.
I understand you to say the pack drops to 31v while climbing the hill?

I assume you have checked the basics: dragging brakes, frozen bearings etc.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO