lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '96 Club Car, 48 volt not charging.

My neighbor's '96 Club Car is not charging. She has limited resources.

I did run a jumper from pack negative thru the fuse on the sense wire in the charge receptacle and the charger worked. I assume the OBC has started to fail.
I saw a OBC bypass/timer for wiring into the charger. About $135. When it arrived, turned out it was by Nivell according to the instruction sheet. Part # 30931. Wiring is quite strait forward. Put it in and it did not work. I am sure connections are correct and tight. I am would like to think I can get an exchange.

Has anyone else used this?

Ard
ardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '96 Club Car, 48 volt not charging.

Unfortunately that device is not compatible with a Powerdrive charger, Your best action is to return it and buy a new less expensive charger.

If You cannot return it, it will run if You run a 10ga negative wire from the charger receptacle directly to pack negative.

However it will not charge properly since that device needs a "Ferro- Resonant" type charger to work properly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

PROBLEM SOLVED

Discovered a one sentence line on the first page of the instruction sheet that said the OBC must be by-passed.
I had read in later section that the OBC must be bypassed if the cart was not running. This cart was running but not charging.

I had read the first 2 paragraphs and went to the section that was specific to my charger.

Cut the negative wire from the charging receptacle that goes to the OBC and hooked it up to pack negative. Plugged it in and IT WORKED!!!

Like they say, "When all else fails, read the instructions."

The advertisement specifically states Powerdrive chargers.

""48-Volt O.B.C. By-Pass 1995 & Up Powerdrive Club Car Golf Carts""
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I believe that is deceptive advertising and confusing the "Powerdrive" DS model with a "Powerdrive charger".

The description also says:
"Can be used as timer replacements in all Ferro-resonant style chargers"
and:
"Not for SCR chargers"
The Club Car OEM is basically an SCR charger where the SCR is inside the OBC.

A Ferro-resonant charger automatically reduces the current as the voltage increases to create the Lead acid charging profile, but the Powerdrive "power supply" is always at the max output.

You should also by-pass the OBC to Controller lockout circuit or it will eventually disable the cart since the OBC is no longer sensing a charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, Sergio,
Checking every 15 minutes. Charging light is on, volts at 57 volts at 9 pm.
Waiting to see when "Finish Charge" comes on.

Pack negative wire still goes through OBC to B- on controller. Will that detect 'Charging' in the OBC.

Instructions said if the Cart is still operating, no other wring changes would need to be made.

I guess it is "wait and see "
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car