lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

Default GE Motor Question....

I am currently trying to replace the magnet on a GE motor. Not sure why it's fighting me this hard. The old magnet broke off of the sleeve so I am currently trying to remove the sleeve off of the shaft. I have tried using paint can openers.....they broke. Picks.........broke. I am a newb to electric motors but I have mechanical ability and tools (apparently not the right ones). Question: Can I remove the end cover of the motor to gain better access to this sleeve? I could get this thing off quick with better access to the backside of the sleeve. I have a six inch lift so unless those screws are really long that hold the end cover on I can remove the plate with the motor on if it is possible to do so. I don't want to start removing screws until I know where they go.......
rbail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: GE Motor Question....

Just pull the motor. That would easier to work on taking the motor apart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Just pull the motor. That would easier to work on taking the motor apart.
I have access to the magnet. Pulling the motor gains me no advantage to pulling the sleeve off. I was only asking to see if that cover on the end is just that? Can the cover simply be removed or is there more to it than the four bolts? With the cover out of the way I could gain a little more mechanical leverage.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The motor is not a big job to remove. 10-15 minutes. Not sure you could get the long screws out.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

your better off pulling the motor, getting the ring off and its easier to put the new magnet on too.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
your better off pulling the motor, getting the ring off and its easier to put the new magnet on too.
I am not trying to a jerk, I am a little confused as to how the motor out makes it easier to remove the ring. I have full access to the opening, I just can't get the ring to budge with the amount of torque that I can put on it. I have enough room to get all the cover screws out. I have tried each one individually. My question is, will the cover simply come off? I am not in the know as to whats behind the cover. Is the motor shaft resting on this cover? Or is it merely a cover? Does it center the motor in the case? Can it even be removed as simply as removing the 4 bolts or are the two screws for the retainer going to prevent removal of the cover?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have you tried using a penetrant like Kroil (my favorite) and letting it sit for a while..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

Yep.....just keep breaking my tools. What stupid F-ing design. It seems there would be a removal tool on the market but I have yet to come across one in my search.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

Well I finally got it off without having to tear the end cover off. I had to mix a couple of different ideas to get it off but once I worked out the how it was off in less than a minute. I made my own tool. It's a cross between a bearing puller and the paint lid tool. What do you guys think? Maybe I should patent it....lol. It ain't pretty but it worked!

20180604_200118[1].jpg
Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbail1 View Post
Well I finally got it off without having to tear the end cover off. I had to mix a couple of different ideas to get it off but once I worked out the how it was off in less than a minute. I made my own tool. It's a cross between a bearing puller and the paint lid tool. What do you guys think? Maybe I should patent it....lol. It ain't pretty but it worked!

Attachment 170759

[emoji1303][emoji1303] Nothing wrong with that! I’ve struggled with many speed magnets over time...

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end cover, high speed magnet
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car