lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
mdowney
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Running cable through OBC 2000 DS

Hello, I upgraded my cables to 4 gauge. Can't put the new 4 gauge through the OBC with the lug on. I saw a thread where someone mentioned running the 6 gauge through the OBC and bypassing the OBC with the 4 gauge. Will this work allowing the OBC to function properly and gaining the benefit of the 4 gauge wire? Thank you, Mike
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Running cable through OBC 2000 DS

No sir....

You can get a coupler from Carts Unlimited where you have a stud kit to mount in the OBC thru-hole and your cable(s) would bolt to both sides.

I do not like doing that myself as I make my own cables or if it is someone else's, I cut the lug of and run it thru and crimp a new lug on the other side.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to drill out the hole to make it bigger or use too much force to push a cable through. In both cases you will bugger the OBC. Better to uses the Stud Kit or leave the original cable on that bit unless you can do as Nole suggests without damage. As Nole said, don't put a cable around the OBC or it will not be able to sense how much power has been taken from the batteries.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I did mine, I bent the lug up with vise grips, put it thru the obc then flattened it back..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
scrannel
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
When I did mine, I bent the lug up with vise grips, put it thru the obc then flattened it back..
Well, if you're not ashamed to admit it... so did I! Still running great.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you are working with 4AWG that is a way to do it although not ideal.
Just insure it is very flat afterwards as you need it to be for the best low resistance stud terminal connection.

Don't think it will work with 2AWG, just too big. Use a stud kit.

As yawood says, don't drill it out or force it real hard.

Here is an inside pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
mdowney
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great, thank you all so much! I think I’ll attempt bending it to put through, if that fails I’ll replace the lug. New to the cart world and enjoy doing my own work although I don’t have much experience but feel confident with folks like you all to reach out to. Bought a 2000.5 DS 48 volt that has a 36v motor. Ran into trouble with slow running, lack of power and heat on the cables coming from the F/R switch which is why I upgraded the wires. Did try and by pass the OBC with poor result:)
I’ll let you know how it goes.
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
Great, thank you all so much! I think I値l attempt bending it to put through, if that fails I値l replace the lug. New to the cart world and enjoy doing my own work although I don稚 have much experience but feel confident with folks like you all to reach out to. Bought a 2000.5 DS 48 volt that has a 36v motor. Ran into trouble with slow running, lack of power and heat on the cables coming from the F/R switch which is why I upgraded the wires. Did try and by pass the OBC with poor result:)
I値l let you know how it goes.
To BGW!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
Great, thank you all so much! I think I値l attempt bending it to put through, if that fails I値l replace the lug. New to the cart world and enjoy doing my own work although I don稚 have much experience but feel confident with folks like you all to reach out to. Bought a 2000.5 DS 48 volt that has a 36v motor. Ran into trouble with slow running, lack of power and heat on the cables coming from the F/R switch which is why I upgraded the wires. Did try and by pass the OBC with poor result:)
I値l let you know how it goes.
I ran 2G and used the bolt method, worked slick, very simple, hardware store parts, under 5.00 1 5/16 X 2" long brass bolt, a few washers, a few nuts, and you're set, you can run 1G if you wanted.
sidewalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

With the bolt method I would be concerned that the bolt would wear away the sensor producing the same results as drilling it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car