lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
PIII
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hot wire behind f/r switch

This is a great site. I have a 1988 ezgo with all new batteries. It runs fine but last night after riding I checked my battery connections to make sure they were all tight, and they were. I touched a wire behind the f/r switch and it was extremely hot, it ran back to the electric motor I'm guessing. It looked like the origional wire so I replaced it and the same thing happend. So if anyone has any suggestions on what they think is wrong or if it's ok since its running fine let me know. I don't won't to burn anything else up if there is something minor I can fix now. Thanks. This is my first post.
PIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot wire behind f/r switch

Welcome!
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where was this wire hottest, at F&R or at motor? In most cases heat is caused by bad connections or high cable resistance. You said you replaced the cable, did you use the same or heavier guage wiring with crimped connections and NOT SOME AUTO TYPE CABLE? If its hottest at F&R swich I would check F&R switch contacts for condition.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
PIII
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

it is a heavier guage wire and it is hottest at the f/r switch. what are the f&r switch contacts? that may be a dumb question but i don't know. thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nothing is a dumb question.
THe F&R contacts are behind where the wires connect to switch. There are some repair parts available for 1988 EZGO cart, or a complete replacement should be also available.
Check with sponsors for parts or unit.
Im going say this again for clarity- was the wire you used as replacement from EZGO dealer or something that you made up? CABLES used on golf carts are DIFFERENT than AUTO cables and DONT WORK CORRECTLY.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
PIII
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i did get it at an auto part store, so i need to get one from an ezgo dealer? do you think the old wire was not made for golf carts possibly? thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im unable to tell about old cable as so many people use wrong parts on golf carts, and with the age of your anything is possible?
What you need is welding cable ( high strand count and flexible 6 guage minimum ) type wiring with solid crimped ends. If you are near a "EZGO dealer" I would check with them for replacement cable, unless you have access to welding cables that can be cut to correct length and have proper sized ends crimped on I would go the safe way with dealer?
While at dealer you might check on available repair parts for F&R switch. I dont know your mechanical and DC electrical ability so this could be a factor in taking cart to dealer or trying to do repairs yourself?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
PIII
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for your help. i will try to clean up around the contacts and replace the wire before getting replacement parts, i'll probally just get a whole new f/r assembly. i read in some other topics that you need to upgrade you wires if you put a lift and bigger tires and mine has both and the wires look like the origionals. i didn't mention about the lift and tires earlier because i didn't think that would effect it. thanks again.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Nothing is a dumb question.
THe F&R contacts are behind where the wires connect to switch. There are some repair parts available for 1988 EZGO cart, or a complete replacement should be also available.
Check with sponsors for parts or unit.
Im going say this again for clarity- was the wire you used as replacement from EZGO dealer or something that you made up? CABLES used on golf carts are DIFFERENT than AUTO cables and DONT WORK CORRECTLY.
I just want to thank you for that comment. I'm glad someone else realizes that if you don't ask, you will never know.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes if you have a lift and larger diameter tires you need to update with at least 4 guage wiring to replace ( ALL HEAVY WIRES ) and an update with a HD F&R switch will be an advantage also. I assume that you still have resistors you might consider going to a solid state controller and PB 6 pedaal speed. Your range and power will increase majorably, without having to go with 48 volts?
Always when asking for help give complete info-make, model, voltage, lifts, large tires etc as it all makes a big difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO