lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
wildbillw
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Input shaft replacement

My 1999 EZ-GO is currently a NO-GO. When you press the accelerator in either forward or reverse it won't move. I can put my hand on the motor and feel that it is turning. The cart vibrates like gears are not engaging. My suspicion is that the input shaft is stripped.

How difficult is it to change? (It comes with a spring clip and 2 o-rings).
How can I be certain that it is the input shaft and not the motor? (the shaft is over $100 and I'd hate to be wrong)

Any help would be appreciated...
wildbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Input shaft replacement

you may want to check the Drums first. This is a common thing with E-Z-GO golf cars. Pull the D/S wheel and then have someone press the accel while you watch the castle nut in the center of the drum. I bet you it'll be spinning like mad while the hub itself stays still.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I second the stripped hub. I have seen one stripped input shaft, but it was due to teh customer let the motor get loose and it just stripped.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
wildbillw
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

RABBITREBORN answered my question on the input shaft and said I should take off the D/S then check to see if the hubs are spinning. (what is the D/S?) I can see the castle nuts on both wheels without removing anything. Neither spin when I press the accelerator. There is a popping noise similar to gears not engaging. That is why I assumed it to be the input shaft or corresponding unit on the motor.

I appreciate knowing that it is not a common problem and that causes me to doubt that I have properly diagnosed the problem. Are there any more possibilities out there?
wildbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

d/s is for the driver side wheel, and what you are looking for to spin is on inside of where the four bolts hold on the wheel(the hub)there is a big nut right in the middle, thats what they are talking about. it may be spinning, and not the hub, but if you check driver and its fine, also check pass side as it has a differential and the one with the least resistance(stripped) will turn without other moving. If you check both sides and both are okay, need to go further up!! Good Luck!!!
gatormeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillw View Post
RABBITREBORN answered my question on the input shaft and said I should take off the D/S then check to see if the hubs are spinning. (what is the D/S?) I can see the castle nuts on both wheels without removing anything. Neither spin when I press the accelerator. There is a popping noise similar to gears not engaging. That is why I assumed it to be the input shaft or corresponding unit on the motor.

I appreciate knowing that it is not a common problem and that causes me to doubt that I have properly diagnosed the problem. Are there any more possibilities out there?
The driver side D/S but if the nut is not spinning then the drum should be good, can you narrow down where the noise is coming from
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillw View Post
My 1999 EZ-GO is currently a NO-GO. When you press the accelerator in either forward or reverse it won't move. I can put my hand on the motor and feel that it is turning. The cart vibrates like gears are not engaging. My suspicion is that the input shaft is stripped.

How difficult is it to change? (It comes with a spring clip and 2 o-rings).
How can I be certain that it is the input shaft and not the motor? (the shaft is over $100 and I'd hate to be wrong)

Any help would be appreciated...
You've eliminated the axle/drum splines as not being stripped so now pull the motor.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ve-sleave.html

Last edited by e-z-go1988; 07-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: add link
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, it's a sudden rash of worn out Input shafts?? What is this like the 4th one in under a week? Wierd.....

As E-Z-GO stated, disconnect the battery wires and then pull the 3 bolts holding the motor on. Remove the motor and inspect the splined end of the input shaft as well as the motor coupler.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
EZGO-DAVE
Not Yet Wild

I have an EZGO that I am rebuilding, it is almost done but now i have a problem with the motor or the differential, I’ve check everything but inside the diff.
The shafts are good the drums turn good if a lift up the cart

When a press the gas (electric) i can feel the motor turning but the cart moves erratic, like when you lose the clutch in your automobile.

Here are some pictures of the motor and diff, I know there are other posts with the same problem but so far I haven’t seen any solutions

I dont think is the motor's coupling seems to be fine

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...ZGO-DAVE/ezgo/
EZGO-DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the axles and the input are good I guess you could have knocked a few teeth off of one of the gears ??? Drop the pan. Get a flashlight and have a look as you rotate both wheels together.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO