lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Default Bypassing the DC relay in a charger for a '97 club car. Will this work?

I think my OBC, although new is bad. Here is the situation. I have new batteries, new cables, and I have checked the charger on other cars and it works great. All fuses are good and connections are tight. I am reading 49 volts output on the batteries as they sit in the car today.

Whenever I plug the charger in it goes through the calibration phase normally. After kicking off after the calibration it never comes back on to charge the batteries.

You can hear what I presume to be the DC relay, kick in when the charger is plugged to the car and then out after the calibration. You can even hear the same clicks before you plug the charger into the 110V outlet. If you plug the car in first and the relay kicks in and then out before you plug the 110V plug in the wall outlet the charger will no even come on for the calibration phase.

I am thinking the OBC is send a signal and telling the DC relay that the batteries are fully charged and cutting the battery charger off automatically.
Is there anything else that might cause this symptom?

Last question; can I bypass the DC relay to take it out of the circuit and cause the charger to stay on until I turn it off myself?
Aoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bypassing the DC relay in a charger for a '97 club car. Will this work?

Yes there is but, you are going to be disconnecting a safety device. One of the dangers you will face is overcharging your batteries if you are not standing there monitoring them as the OBC does while charging..... Or under charging them if you error on the side of caution....not a good idea.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bypassing the DC relay in a charger for a '97 club car. Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes there is but, you are going to be disconnecting a safety device. One of the dangers you will face is overcharging your batteries if you are not standing there monitoring them as the OBC does while charging..... Or under charging them if you error on the side of caution....not a good idea.
I plan on keeping a close eye on the charger amp meter until it shows about 7or 8 amps and then cutting it off and checking the output voltage from the batteries. I am told that new batteries should show from 58 to 59 volts on a 48 volt system when fully charged.

The relay has a blue wire and red wire going to the it along with two black wires. How would I bypass the relay to make the charger work?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

7 or 8 amps left on the charger is not enough charge. Needs to run below 5 for a little while then cut it off, let it set an hour, then check your pack voltage.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

to bypass the low voltage sensor you to take the top wire out of the circuit breaker and out of the black relay or just out of the relay and tape the end up so it dosn,t touch anything......than the white wire from the transformer you unplug and plug into the relay where you took the small black wire out and that will allow charger to work ...........this is if its the powerwise charger........................................... ........
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Aoperator
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the advice fella's.

Got the car fixed. The new OBC I bought from a local unethical dealer was bad in the box, just as I first thought. Installed a new one from a different dealer and the charger worked just like it was suppose to.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Desired User Name
Not Yet Wild

I've read that jumping the yellow wire at the solenoid to the number 6 battery's negative terminal is the way to bypass the OBC and allow charging. On my 48v CC, '96 model I think, that appears to create a short.

Is the number 1 battery on the passenger side?

On my cart, the passenger side battery runs a positive lead to the solenoid. And when I try to jump from the yellow side of the solenoid to the rearmost driver side battery, I get an arc.
Desired User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You win the archeologist award today. The last post in this thread was 4 years ago but, it works well for your question. Good use of the search engine
The battery main connection on the Passenger side is + and you want the - main on the other side. Check the diode is not damaged by the short first, now. A simple continuity test of the diode in place will work, you should have continuity one way through the diode and not the opposite way. Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car