lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
jeemann99
Not Yet Wild

Default New/Old G1

Just picked up a 80's G1. not even sure what year. It runs good, but could use some speed and drives nice and soft. I just put in a new battery because the one the previous owner had was tiny for a tractor or something. When I put in the battery it tilted my cart to the one side.

Anyway a few questions
- with it being a 2 stroke, I cant stand the smell whether its parked in my garage or driving. what can i do besides switch to a 4 stroke or electric
- I do pavement driving and grass. should I purchase a 6" or 4" lift? if I go 6" do I have to change suspension?
- when reversing I have to pull the choke all the way out then push it back in while reversing. how do i remedy this

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeemann99
jeemann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New/Old G1

With regard to smell...my G1 doesn't smell when parked. Does it smell like oil or gas?
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
jeemann99
Not Yet Wild

gas, but i looked on the ground and i see no leaks
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It could be one or all of the rubber grommets on the gas tank, or even the gas cap gasket. The gas fumes will leak out when those get old.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
jeemann99
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Also the lift question. If I go 6" woth 22 10 10 tires do I need to change shocks
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you buy a lift kit you should be able to reuse your stock shocks. If you fab a lift up yourself, just engineer it to use the stock shocks.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
jeemann99
Not Yet Wild

where do i get gas gaskets from?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just look at golf cart shops on the net, do a search for "G1 fuel tank" or something like that. See what comes up. That's all I did. Found lots.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can open the idle mixture screw a little it should start better (warm and cold) or check for leaks/etc. Warm it should not need choke. Make sure the airbox is sealed. And get a new ngk plug for it.

If you don't like the smell I'd recommend you clean the cart up and use it until you find another that is not a 2 stroke then swap out. If you put a 4 stroke in you don't have reverse in a G1. If it has the injection yet and you use yamalube it should not smell much unless you run it hard (wot a lot). If it starts smoking a lot after some use the muffler has oil in it. Best to BBQ it or run it hard for 20 min that should burn it all out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha