lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

Default 400 amp solenoid benefit?

Would it be a good idea to change my 200/800 solenoid out for a 400/1000 one? This would apply to a 500 amp controller .... Any seat of the pants difference or cooler temp conditions??? That super duty unit seems like a good idea and would allow me to change to 42 or 48V in the future, just wondering if it would benefit me right now at 36V.
old dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 400 amp solenoid benefit?

Electrons flow like water through a hose. You need to make the entire length of hose the same internal diameter to get the most "flow". You can only get as many electrons through as the smallest peice of "hose" will allow.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You actually draw more amperage at 36v than you would at 48v given everything is the same ( motor, tires, control, etc) So yes, you would see some benefit using the superduty 400 solenoid at 36v and 48v. THe 400 has larger contact surfaces made of Silver oxide as opposed to copper contacts in the 200a solenoid. This higher quality (larger) contact will give you longer service and conduct more amperage with less heat build up. Will it be a seat of the pants improvement? I don't think you will feel the difference unless you are having some issue with the current solenoid.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Kind of what I figured. I will probably buy it for the flexibility alone. I believe it is the only link in the chain, other than batts of course, that would allow me to try out 42 or 48 volts and see what I think. It may be time for a new charger!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
Thanks. Kind of what I figured. I will probably buy it for the flexibility alone. I believe it is the only link in the chain, other than batts of course, that would allow me to try out 42 or 48 volts and see what I think. It may be time for a new charger!
If you are not sure what pack voltage you'll end up with, it is the only way to fly.

FWIW: I've ran mine at 36V and 42V, with both 400A and 500A controllers and with stock and aftermarket motors.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

I'm sold, thanks! I assume you noticed the difference at 42 volts. I would like to add a 6 volter for now. Is it worth it? I climb steep grades and crawl a lot off road.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
I'm sold, thanks! I assume you noticed the difference at 42 volts. I would like to add a 6 volter for now. Is it worth it? I climb steep grades and crawl a lot off road.
I ran a DCX400 with a stock motor at both 36V and 42V.

Upping the pack voltage by 6V gives you about a 17% gain in both speed and Torque.
My speed jumped from 24 MPH to 28 MPH. (Sepex cart)
The acceleration off the line and performance on hills was significantly improved according to my seat-of-the-pants dynamometer .

My goal was range rather than speed or torque and going from a 36V 225AH pack (8.1kWh of energy stored) to a 42V 245AH pack (10.3kWh of energy stored), gave me the range I wanted, so the 17% gains in speed and torque were just icing on the cake.

Is it worth it, yes. But with a series cart you may want to go to 48 volts to get 33% more torque and speed.

If your 36V pack is in good health and if you can find a used battery about the same age and type, you can go to 42V and then go to 48V when you have to replace the pack.

The battery charger voltage has to match the pack voltage, so you'll have to change the charger when you change pack voltages..
The nice thing about the 42V DPI Accusense I use is that it is a 48V charger with a 42V PC Board in it, so you can up it to 48V just buy changing the PC Board. The PC Board isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than buying a complete charger.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all that info. Much appreciated. I currently have Crown 260ah batteries that are 1.5 yrs old. They have been phenomenal so far. I wonder if a new one or two would screw things up? I guess I should have gone six eights to begin with. Oh well, we'll see what the spring itch does and make a call at that point. Thanks again. Johnnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Our shop uses crown.... Very good batts.

At only 1.5 years old and well maintained ,you could probably add 1 without significant
battery life issues.

Check with JohnnieB. But i think you may loose some life off the 1 new battery but pack should last about as long as it would without adding batt.
In real world use -- no noticeable change.

Again --- check with the battery guru JohnnieB.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

The batts are very well maintained and seem as perfect as can and continue to impress. We'll see! New charger and maintained,, new SOC meter and f course solenoid. It runs very strong right now. What you don't know you don't miss, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO