lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New to me EZGO TXT as of today

I have 3 chargers can I connect all 3 at the same time? My wife had the charger checked out today at a local shop...they said it is in good shape.

I am thinking it is a battery issue....I will keep charging them slowly. At 2 amps no sizzel, but getting a small amount of bubbling
BigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I have 3 chargers can I connect all 3 at the same time? My wife had the charger checked out today at a local shop...they said it is in good shape.

I am thinking it is a battery issue....I will keep charging them slowly. At 2 amps no sizzel, but getting a small amount of bubbling
Yes, just as long as no battery is being charged by more than one charger at the same time.

The three 12V charger connections shown in the drawing I attached to post#7, can be used sequentially or simultaneously.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB. If this doesn't charge the batteries I may install 3-12v marine batteries for a short time to get the cart going. And then in April change back to 6v

I live in South Mississippi on the coast and the land is flat!!! So climbing hills is not an issue, just distance. I live in a community that is a proponent of carting, 10 MPH max speed, probably about 2.5 miles of streets. Any idea what kind of distance I would get out of the 12v setup?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks JohnnieB. If this doesn't charge the batteries I may install 3-12v marine batteries for a short time to get the cart going. And then in April change back to 6v

I live in South Mississippi on the coast and the land is flat!!! So climbing hills is not an issue, just distance. I live in a community that is a proponent of carting, 10 MPH max speed, probably about 2.5 miles of streets. Any idea what kind of distance I would get out of the 12v setup?
Deep cycle marine batteries are not as deep cyclable as golf cart batteries and a 3 x 12V pack doesn't have the storage capacity as a 6 x 6V pack, but if you happen to have a set in halfway decent health, they ought to be fine for testing the cart and upgrades to the drive system.

In stock condition except for 2Ga cables, my 2008 PDS would get from 20 to 24 miles without going below 50% SoC. The T-105 batteries were about two years old and in halfway decent condition even though they had been abused at a golf course in AZ for about 18 months before I acquired the cart and would only charger to 85% Soc when I got it.

The T-105 is a 225AH battery, so a guesstimate of your carts range with 12V marine batteries would be the ratio of the AH rating they have vs the AH rating of the T-105, times about 22 Miles. Since 12V batteries typically have about half the AH of 6V batteries, my guess is about 11 miles or so if the marine are in good shape and the rest of the cart is working close to properly, but I might be wrong.

Sounds like the "Steep Hill" or "Mild Hill" PDS modes would work well for you.
Max speed is 13 and 14 MPH respectively and regen braking levels are heavy or mild respectively.

Will you be taking the cart out of the cart friendly community, or just using it in the limited area?

The reason I ask, is that if the cart isn't making long trips, you might get away with economy grade batteries. My usual recommendation is to buy the highest AH batteries your budget allows at the best price locally, but your situation may be an exception.

If you take it to the beach, or off-road, you'll need more oomph in the battery pack and some upgrades to handle the sand and sand soil.

---------------
I was stationed at Kessler and TDY there a couple times in the 60's and had the pleasure of feeling 200+ MPH winds shake a three story reinforced concrete structure Camille passed through in '69.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

I have one new 27 marine battery and need to replace 2 more in my boat....I thought I would just go ahead and buy 2 more 27's and use 2ga wiring upgrade (already have the wire and terminals from boat project)

I would have to trailer the cart into town to use it in the city, 3 miles away no surface streets from my house to downtown. Which is what everybody else does on the weekends.
My subdivision promotes the use of carts and there are about 3 miles of streets.

Looks as though the 12v's would get me around for 4-5 months until I can go back to the 6v

We love it here, it is a great place to live 98% of the time......the other 2% can get real hairy! Our house went completely under during Katrina 32' of water on our property!

JonnieB thanks again for all the help. I will post some pic's of the cart and battery project.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

Update....So I used the 12v deep cycle charger set on 2 amps as per your diagram (Thanks very helpful) until each pair of batteries had reached 10.5 volts I would then move the deep cycle charger to the next pair of batteries; I would then place a trickle charger on the freshly charged pair until all batteries were holding 5v each.

I plugged in the the Power Wise cart charger and it started charging at 5 amps; now after and hour it is charging at 15 amps.

I will charge for 24 hours and see if the cart will run. If so I will run it for 5-10 minutes and then recharge again and keep cycling the batterres

Thanks again for the advice!!!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Be careful not to go too far from home, you dont want to find out the hard way that the batteries dont have "5-10 minutes" in them. :)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #18
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

Took the maiden voyage this morning. Drove cart about 3 blocks and returned home no voltage drop.

Weather is bad right now...Plan on trying to go further tomorrow. Once it drops to about 33 volts I will return to base and recharge
Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #19
rib33024

Quote:
Took the maiden voyage this morning. Drove cart about 3 blocks and returned home no voltage drop.

Weather is bad right now...Plan on trying to go further tomorrow. Once it drops to about 33 volts I will return to base and recharge

You should try not to ever go below 50%, which would be 36.31 volts before you recharge. 33 volts is only about 8% charged this is bad for the drive system, and the batteries

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
BigEd
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the info and chart. Just nursed the batteries back, I don not want to create any additional damage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO